Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never give up on a no-bloomer.

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 13:56

I have had this ODCDM Catante �Pacific Sun Spots� seemingly forever. It just got bigger and bigger but never bloomed. I changed potting material and moved it to different locations but to no avail. It's been ignored for the last 3 years and suddenly out of the blue it's making 8 vigorous spikes. If you look carefully 7 are visible in the photo, there is another one.

3 years ago I made a division and mounted it, it's also in spike so the same conditions prompted both to bloom. Don't know what it is, no change in the culture. I made no animal or virgin sacrifices to TOG (The Orchid God) so am at a loss.

When should you give up on a no-bloomer? I guess it depends on how much space you have. If I were short of space I would have put this one on the plant table a long time ago. I'm glad I didn't but have no explanation of the behavior.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never give up on a no-bloomer.

It's in a 10" pot with well draining bark/perlite. Good source of light, cool, humid air. Should have bloomed a long time ago.

Nick

o

Interesting. I think I might have the same plant. Anyway, lost the tag years ago. This monster has followed me to Florida.

Years ago it had one spike indoors during winter. I was told it was Spring blooming. Hasn't bloomed since. About 6 months ago I stuck it in a large cement saucer. My cat has made it his launching post for his lizard catching. Lizards love hiding in the leaves.

This morning, walking around checking plants I noticed a big spike. Looked closer and I count at least 8 spikes. Thought I was seeing things. No, its full of spikes.

Now I have to get someone to lift this plant in the cement saucer which must weigh 50lbs before the kitty breaks the spikes.

Its been in full sun, completely neglected, cat hides in it, leaves bent, crushed, some pbulbs knocked sideways, and its spiking. Go figure!

photo 8D370D35-DD2E-4AE1-BA2C-1E735BE38201_zpss6t6xfqa.jpg

To make matters worse, I have no idea what plant it is,
 photo 0989E449-971E-4D85-A5D9-FDBA96EF6E4B_zpshas8kyaw.jpg
Notice the 'devil cat' in the bottom left corner.

Jane

o

Looks very similar, has a similar history of non blooming followed by a ton of spikes. When the flowers open we'll compare.

Nick

o

'Pacific-something', rings a bell. I remember the flowers were dark orangey.

Jane

o

It was waiting for no one to be looking.

o

How exciting, please post a pic when your orchids are in bloom.

Allymarie

o

Ready Jane? Here is a picture of the first flowers to open. Same as yours?

Nick

o

Who knows? Mine is still not blooming. I recall they are more brown-orange. But, not positive.

Yours does look familiar. And Pacific 'something' rings a bell. Could be a plant I had in the past.

I'll post mine when it flowers.

Jane

o

It's a beauty Nick! Does it smell lovely too?

o

No odor at this time but it will probably have 100 flowers on 9 spikes. We'll see if the sheer numbers produce an odor..

Nick

o

Beautiful and a lovely color!

Allymarie

o

I waited 4 years for MacKenzie Mountain to put out spikes and now it has 8 opening up sequentially. What a thrill! Jane, would your orchid be "Pacifica Nova? If so, I have one and it looks like a brassia flower. You know, those spidery ones.

o

Jane here is a picture of more of the flowers.They definitely have a brownish tinge which the camera seems to deemphasize. In direct sunlight they look like that but in the shade of the greenhouse they are more brown.[

Nick

o

Lovely! Those beautiful blooms were worth the wait.

Allymarie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here