Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbarry_gw

Setting up orchid aquarium, need small fan

cbarry
17 years ago

I gave in and realize that my drac, 4 masdies, Chiloschista lunifera, and Lepanthes zamorensis will all be much happier in a higher humidity environment that my 30-40% humidity room can provide. The leaves and plants are fine, but the 1 masdie that tried to bloom, blasted. Well, I knew that they wanted more humidity, but I'm stupid and stubborn at times, so I've decided to give them an honest chance before I kick them out the door. After all, it's not their fault that they ended up in my care.

So I bought a 5 gal aquarium. I need to get some kind of grating for the bottom so that I can keep a water resevoir there. I'll get some glass cut for the top, and I plan to keep them under my regular CFL lights (not an aquarium hood with lights). So I need a little fan that I can plug in. I don't want to have to do any special wiring - I want 'plug and play'. If I absolutely must, I am handy enough to wire a fan to an electric plug, but somehow I don't think it's that easy.

So, please, Radio Shack or Staples for a computer fan? Does HD have tiny fans? I need your collective advice.

The plants all thank you (me too!)

Carolyn

Comments (17)

• barbara_in_la
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, Carolyn,

My boyfriend and I went to our local Radio Shack to pick up the computer fan. It's 115VAC Radio Shack cooling fan. It doesn't come with an electrical cord; so we purchased that there, too. We stopped at our local hardware store and purchased a light switch dimmer -- so that I can turn the fan off and on -- and he put it together when we got home.

I hope this helps!
    Barbara

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Barbara - you give me hope- that much wiring I *can* do :)

carolyn

• dirtmonkey
    17 years ago

[Longer post than I planned, hope it's helpful!]

Little computer fans are great! Not only do they keep the glass clear of fog even when it's very humid in there, but they're quiet and cheap.

If you can do that much wiring above, then check out the cheaper, standard 12v DC computer fans. They're mostly plastic, and the sealed or plastic bearings don't seem to have any problems with high humidity. I've used all kinds, nothing has ever stopped from corrosion. The bearings will wear out eventually, but running them at a little lower voltage seems to slow that a lot. I have a free one from a 1994 model computer on its way to the trash, that has run steadily and silently for over 5 years. Who knows how much it had already been used, the old computer really was trash by then...

I connect mine to 9v transformers- usually $1.00 or less at a thrift store. Then the only wiring you have to do only has 9 volts so you can do it with the live wires to see which 2 of the 3 fan leads make it work (safe to try as long as you only connect 2 at a time, or any other tinkering you might want to do.

The other nice safety thing is you only have 9 volts inside, in case you get a water short somehow and have your hand in there. Maybe a little tingle, maybe, but definitely no \/\ZAP/\/ or meltdowns.

Running an 80mm size cheap computer fan at 9 volts is plenty of circulation in a 20 gallon tank with an airstone bubbler and full back drip wall, or with timed misters, even with the higher humidity I get that way. If you only have a perlite bed or plain water and eggcrate in a 5 gallon and use too much air flow you'll be back down almost to room humidity pretty quick once the lights warm it up, unless the top has no vent holes at all.

In such a small space, a 40-60mm fan run at 4.5 volts would probably be plenty. A 5 gallon is very tiny as far as air flow goes. You could get a full 12 volt transformer and play around with a dimmer, to change speeds, but be sure to get a small one and use it on the low-voltage side of the transformer. Remember I'm talking about the cheap 12 vlt, DC fans here. The one you would use would be more like the volume control on a radio, not a household light dimmer. You'd want that outside the tank of course, I don't know for sure but it might corrode in the more humid air.

Another useful thing (with any kind of fan) is plugging it into a timer. That way you can set it to run for, say 30 minutes or an hour a few times a day, some time after you normally mist or water. Light timers usually also have an on/off switch.

I usually just leave the fans on though, they don't use enough electricity or make enough noise to worry about, so I just add a bubbler and close off the top better if I want it wetter inside. That way the higher humidity doesn't "settle" near the bottom too (actually it's the even air temperature inside that keeps the humidity even)

BTW for some reason, probably a combination of wicking and surface area, perlite gets much more humidity into the air than still, open water. Maybe try it if you don't get the air in there humid enough. Keep the water level just under the top of the perlite and still top off with eggcrate to keep the pots off it. A couple ounces of regular drugstore peroxide once in a while will keep algae away, with a full bleach rinse once in a while, or just replaced with clean perlite, recycling the old stuff into potting mixes since it doesn't break down.

Sorry if a lot of this you already know, just popped in with a question of my own and saw yours. I've got tons of experience with computer fans in very wet (even power misted) terrariums, they were the magic bullet for 99% of the old mold and rot problems!

Now someday I just have to figure out how to hide them very nicely and still keep them effective. It would be a different way for every terrarium depending on the look. You can even get UV fluorescent and LED lighted fans if you're into that, but I'd rather just hide them behind a bark slab LOL. One of my next projects will be in a tank designed for lizards, with pre-drilled vents in the sides. I might put the fan in-line, outside the tank, but still pulling the humid air out one side and blowing in the other.

Vincent

• dirtmonkey
    17 years ago

PS- A small suction cup with attached hook you can find almost anywhere is handy for mounting the fan inside. I've used all kinds of things to prop them a little away from the glass (1/2" or so), and even left then dangling from the wires. Ugly, but effective.

V

• cynthia_prescott_az
    17 years ago

Bought very small fan from 3dcool.com. It was too small for the Charlies GH Supplies dome over half flat, so orderd their 60mm 16db fan, http://www.3dcool.com/product_info.php?products_id=1617&3dCsid=fbe4ef26f8be25ace7c74f7904b46e2c . Haven't tried it yet tho. Got the name of this place from Harry Phillips of Andy's Orchids. Found another place, http://www.surplusshed.com/catalog/ss_catalog_s06_w.pdf, to order a 12V transformer.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dirtmonkey- Thanks for a very informative post! But that may be getting into more that what I am thinking. I think I'll look up some hobby shops this weekend anyway, just to see what I can find.

Cynthia- Thanks for the links- but that fan is a little big for me :) Good lead on a transformer though.

Carolyn

• q_li
    17 years ago

Carolyn,

I bought those 3" hobby fan online, it costed $1.8/each, but you can get a 4" computer cooling fan in Radio Shack which costs about $5. Home Depot sells those multiple voltage DC power supply, with DC output range from 1.5V, 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V, 12V. You get the voltage you want by turning the swith. This power supply costed about $14. Wiring is very easy, it only has two wires, red for "+" connection, black for "-" connection. Just cut the wires and expose the copper lead, connect the same color wire from the power supply to the fan, and wrap it with an electrical insalution tape.

Qinghua

• q_li
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention you can adjust the fan speed by using smaller DC voltage, but I think anything lower than 6V won't be able to turn the fan on. I also use silicon to glue the fan on the fish tank. I glue it near the bottom and the fan is blowing upward. I also put a filter (the type used in cool mist humidifier) underneath the fan, but the filter is sitting in the water, so it is wet all the time, so it is working like a mini humidifier.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Qinghua,

More great do-it-yourself advice- especially the part about trying to set up a mini humidifier.

This is going to be my project for today. I'll post pictures when I'm done!

Carolyn

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, So here are the results:

{{gwi:149503}}

Inside are:
    Chiloschista lunifera
    Dracula vespertilio
    Masdevallia ayabacana
    Masdevallia floribunda
    Masdevallia Orange Glow
    Masdevallia Shinichi Komoda
    Masdevallia tovarensis
    Lepanthes zamorensis

It's a 5 gal aquarium, the plants are in large trays to keep them from the water resevoir poured into the aquarium. The lid is a piece of acrylic that almost closes off the whole tank, but not quite 100%. The fan is a home made fan as described above - a computer fan from Radio Shack and and AC/DC converter voltage-regulatable power supply. I think I'm running it at about 6 V. SOOOOO EASSSYY!!

I just have to determine what the real humidity in the tank is, to know how much is escaping areound the edges of the top. I also need to play with the position of the fan, and maybe have it directed more at the water and/or set up a humidity wick as described above.

Many thanks to those who told me what to do!
    Carolyn

• arthurm
    17 years ago

That's pretty nifty. Can only dream about those sorts of orchids, especially the Dracula.

• barbara_in_la
    17 years ago

Looks really good!! Barb

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Very cool. Just one suggestion. Why don't you cover the bottom of the tank with a piece of waffle grating supported by some saucers or something? That would give you even better air flow around the bottom of the pots and you could also fit more in there. That means MORE PLANTS TO BUY!!

K

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Woo hoo! I can now report that the aquarium may be able to do its job- it's been running at 60-65% humidity, which is 20% higher than the room it's in :)

C'mon now, bring on those buds! Oh, BTW, You can see the C. lunifera spike and a few flowers in the above photo. I need to post real pictures of the flowers, but I wanted to point this out :)

Kevin - I couldn't find any waffle grating at HD - where did you get yours? I did make this raised grating-like thing (very cool actually), but it ended being too tall- the leaves of the taller plants were brushing the top of the aquarium. It was about 2 in tall I think. It's OK the way it is, and I could always add a fan or lower the current one, to blow directly on the resevoir, hopefully adding even more humidity. Oh yea, I don't *want* any more of these difficult plants - I'm in too deep with this bunch as it is. Give me a stan or a ctsm any day!

Stay tuned for the flowers, folks ;)
    Carolyn

• q_li
    17 years ago

Carolyn, nice job, congrats! I also got a 5 gallon tank, but I make it stand verticle to get a height of 16". I got a 10 gallon tank that fits 8 masdies. This tank is in my office so I have to install a automatic dripping system to water the mounted ones for the weekend and holidays.

Qinghua
    {{gwi:149504}}

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

You're right HD doesn't carry it. I got mine at Menards, but I doubt you have them out there. It was really cheap too. Like $9 for a 4 foot sheet.

K

• paul_
    17 years ago

Hmmmm, surprised HD didn't have it. You might also try Lowes if there are any up your way, Carolyn. In lieu of Menard's or Lowe's, I would expect that any lighting store should carry them. [Btw, for those who are wondering what this 'waffle grating' Kevin refered to is, it is also known as a light diffuser or diffusion grating since that is the "normal" use for it.] : )

Quinghua, your masdies look fantastic!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz