Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
classyeyebrows

Epidendrum flower head yellowing - Normal?

ClassyEyebrows
10 years ago

Back on Feb. 23rd, I purchased this Epidendrum at an orchid show. I've never owned an orchid before, but Epis seemed to be some of the easiest to start with, so I took a chance.

After about a week or so, I noticed that the new buds had turned dark and shriveled. I chalked this up to damage done by the cold temperatures I had carry the plant through to get it to it home. It had a plastic bag over it and and was only outside for short periods of time, but it's still a stressful thing. I removed the shriveled buds & hoped for a recovery.

And it looked like one of the heads was going to recover. It turned green (while the other remained dark and crispy looking) and seemed like more buds might emerge.

But it's deteriorated literally overnight. I looked at it this morning, the head has turned yellow, and the two flowers that were still standing up have now drooped. Perhaps the yellowing started yesterday, but it certainly wasn't noticeable. Making this more confusing is that the other stalk looks exactly the same as it has for the past few weeks. It's still got the dead buds on top, but the head is green and the flowers still seem good.

So what's going on? Is it in trouble? I'm trying to think what might be happening here, and my best guesses would be:

A) That I'm not watering it enough. The people I bought the orchid from said once every two weeks would be sufficient, and that's what I've been doing.

B) That it's too close to the radiator. When I first considered putting it there, I put a thermometer near it to make sure it wouldn't get too hot, and it only gets up to about 75 degrees there. And like I said, it's been fine so far. Maybe there's something I've overlooked though?

C) This is totally normal, and the stalk is done blooming. Time to cut it back, or something. I see lots of discussion online of what to do when your stalk is done blooming, but nothing that described "done blooming" as "remaining flowers wilt overnight, and the head turns yellow suddenly." But maybe that's exactly what this is and I'm overreacting.

So, what would you experts say is the diagnosis? Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting