Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spikes dying

Posted by juniperbrea 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 15:08

I have this phal orchid that I received as a gift two years ago. The flowers fell off and I cut the spike back to the bottom. It gained two new leaves, then sat for a long time doing nothing. I water it every few weeks. The water is from either RO water or water from my fish tank...I alternate. It sits on my kitchen table, So no direct sunlight, or indirect really. Just light from my French doors that lead outside...

Then in January, I noticed a new spike! Joy! But it shriveled and died about half way back. Then another new spike! More joy! It too has started to die... what's up with that!?!?!

Also, some roots sprang up in the back, but they shriveled and died too...

This post was edited by juniperbrea on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 15:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spikes dying

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 16:18

To me it doesn't seem like you have been giving it enough water. Depending on what medium your phal. is potted in, it should be watered about once a week. Have you checked to see what the roots look like?

o
RE: spikes dying

I would agree that a phal growing inside a home should be watered at least once a week (depending on the medium and pot of course). Generally, home heating units make for a pretty dry indoor climate. Lack of humidity can also cause flowers and buds to fall off prematurely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here