Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanda SansiaiBlue Hanging On

Posted by shirley-z-8-tx (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 15:12

My Vanda Sansai Blue is barely hanging on. It had buds but had lost leaves and had a bare brown dead looking stem at the bottom. I cut the stem trying to leave the roots but it lost four more leaves so I cut the stem to green and applied cinnamon, leaving two roots. I then suspended it just above some bark in a pot hoping for humidity and so far so good. don't know if it will make it but the buds have opened and it hasn't lost any more leaves. I thoroughly mist the roots every day.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/shirley-z-8-tx/?action=view¤t=IMG_2028.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanda SansiaiBlue Hanging On

Close Up O Flowers on Sansai Blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/shirley-z-8-tx/?action=view¤t=IMG_2027.jpg

o

Vandas are terrific orchids if you have the conditions, but if you don't you will only have heartache. They must have direct sun and heat and plenty of it. Your conservatory looks very nice but I would bet it is too dark and cool a lot of the time. What you can do in Zone 8, however, is hang them out in the garden for 6 months of the year. Don't shade them at all, only bring them in when the night temp drops below 10C 50F.

o

Nice plant and blooms! I really struggle with trying to successfully grow vandas. Your plant looks very good compared to the few I have. Mine are outdoors now, but will have to come back in for a few nights. I'm hoping they'll grow roots before our extreme heat hits later this summer.

o

granniek: I have been fearful of putting my vanda outside because I cannot water them as much as I think they would need lt. In fact I think that is why I had the problem with this one. I didn't water it enough. I have been soaking the roots every morning now but it still doesn't seem to be enough because the roots look wrinkled. I am experimenting with growing some in bark. We will see how that goes, but they look good so far. Don't know if there are roots in the bark or if they just like the extra humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here