Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parkside Excursion and Question

Posted by theanalyst z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 15:28

I thought I would share two new orchids to my collection, that I picked up during a visit to Parkside Orchids. Fantastic place that I haven't been to in a couple years.

Masdevallia (hybrid) and a mounted Tolumnia sylvestris.

Can anyone tell me about tolumnias. I do not know much about them, other than intermediate to warm temps and bright light.

Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parkside Excursion and Question

There is a nice pic. of the Tolumnia on Jay's species site and a description of the habitat. Not even going to attempt to tell you how to grow the plant in NY except to say that the usual reason for the death of the little beauties here is overwatering and over-potting.
Suggest you contact Parkside for detailed growing hints. Though i have hundreds of hybrids, i have nil species because they are as rare as hen's teeth over here.
Lovely Masdevallia.

o

Strange, I posted a reply last night and now it seems to have disappeared. Right now, I have the Tolumnia in a greenhouse under T5s. From what I understand, it needs bright light. Since it is mounted, I don't think over-watering will be a problem, rather I have to make sure I mist it each day.

Sarah

o

Your sylvestris also has a different growth pattern than most Tolumnias. They shoot off the new growths, like a Phal stem keiki and they don't attach to the mount. The little growths are sooooo tight it is much more difficult to lose them to rot than most Tolumnia.

A good totally submerged fertilizer soak once a week will also be helpful.

Brooke

o

Great info Brooke. Thanks!

Sarah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here