Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bloom development

Posted by seanakd WA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 15:54

I am new to growing orchids, received my first as a gift last May (09). I now have three, and all of them sent out bloom spikes again this spring. It seems like it is taking forever for the blooms to open. It is like watching a butterfly in a chrysalis. I can see the spots on the petals through the green sheath, but have no idea how long it is supposed to take before they are fully developed and open.

The orchid with the best developed buds was labeled as a Hawaiian Odontoglossum. How long does it typically take for blooms to develop and open?

S

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bloom development

The fact that these plants are re-blooming means that you are ahead of the game. Many people have a hard time getting their first orchids to bloom.

The good news is that spikes that take a long time to develop usually last a long time. Different orchids take different lengths of time to develop.

Once a spike develops don't change the conditions. After the spike starts to form buds, don't rotate the plant.

o

yes, congrats on getting it to bloom! after a lot of reading, i got my phal to spike for the first time my 2nd year having it, buds opened by march (last year)... this year is different... buds are just now opening... i think it stopped bud growth to shoot out a new branch on the spike....
just to throw out there... i was expecting it to be the same time as last year... now my other phal spiked at the beginning of march... go figure!
actually, when one fades, i'll still have the other yay! :)

o

Thank you for the tips. I have already violated the 'don't change conditions' rule. Mainly because I was worried about light changes (bright spring sun), and the bark was black. So I repotted them, knowing this was likely a bad idea when flowering, and moved them to better light. We'll see what happens. My first bud is now opening and the plants still look happy. The flowers probably won't last as long as they would have if I hadn't fussed over them. I'm hoping I haven't killed them with my enthusiasm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here