Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanda growing a new plant instead of flower stalks

Posted by aimee_2010 Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 16:22

I bought a large Vanda about 5 years ago. It has always bloomed twice a year. No fertilizers. This spring what I thought was a new bloom has turned out to be another version of itself.

The old plant is still producing leaves, and the entire root structure is about 2 and 1/2 feet long.

Is there anything I should be doing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanda growing a new plant instead of flower stalks

Congratulate yourself on having a healthy robust plant. In a couple of years you have the option of dividing the plant.

Nick

o

I like to keep my vandas together. I never seperate. In a few years, it will put on a nice show possibly blooming at the same time or one after the other.

o

I agree, I actually meant to discourage early division if at all. Multiple blooms can be very attractive.

Nick

o

No. It's absolutely normal.

o

Aimee
please share your secrets on what you did to cause this to happen.?? I've had it happen but making it happen is another story. I have Vandas pushing 7 feet and would sure be nice to have more plants rather than more height!!!
So ungainly and prone to wind damage when they get too tall. I"ve tried clipping out the growing tip but usually results in a hunch back lol New growth just starting to the side of the clip and then resuming it's attempt to get even taller
Would LOVE to be able to cause offsets.!! The worst IME are the strap leaf .Teretes or hybrids between being the easiest to prune to size so you get more plants
Why in the world wouldn't you want it to offset??? They also flower and produce roots so result in a MUCH fuller, robust plant.
gary

o

Gary--have you tried kieki-grow? Works great on vandas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here