Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Save my miltoniopsis!

Posted by newbiehavinfun 7a - Southern NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 17:25

Please help! My miltoniopsis has a yellow and brown leaf all of a sudden! It has been doing so well and flowering like bonanzas. I just fertilized with a weak concentration of 20-20-20 (so probably 10-10-10) on Friday and misted it this morning. What's going wrong?

Here is a link that might be useful: My poor baby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Save my miltoniopsis!

Mine do this after flowering; they lose a few leaves. Two or three on a plant that size. I would say it's nothing to be concerned about.

o

Do you mean a single leaf or is it spreading? I can only help you if you answer this question.

o

Right now it's only a single leaf and hasn't spread.

o
correction

Another leaf on another bulb has started to yellow. Do you think it could be getting too little sun?

o

What kind of light is the plant getting?

o

Very indirect. It's in a room that gets a lot of sun (three east facing and two south facing windows) but is about six feet back from a southern window and twelve from an eastern window. Both the miltoniopsis and the paph I have there are blooming, but now with the yellow leaves on the miltoniopsis I'm thinking it might not be enough light.

o

Are these leaves on the oldest pseudobulbs?

o

You are keeping your plant in the dark. Six feet back from any exposure is too far away. I live in central NJ and mine are right near the glass in a western window. My catts are one or two feet from a south window.

Is the milt blooming under your care or did you buy it in bloom? If it's blooming under your care under those light conditions, than it might be a case of the plant losing it's older leaves.

The paph does not need as much light as a milt.

If you do decide to give the milt more light, move it closer to the window in stages, so as not to burn the leaves, like you might do the first time on the beach.

o

When I bought the orchid it had buds but no blooms. Now the buds have opened up. The leaves don't have any pleats, so I think the water is okay. The leaves are from bulbs that are not flowering, so they are the oldest, I presume. It must be as orchid126 says, that it's not getting enough light. I moved it to about 2 feet from a western window and will move it closer gradually and see how that goes. Thanks for your advice, everyone!

Megan

o

Update: The miltoniopsis has made a recovery. I put it in front of a western facing window, gradually, and now it seems very happy. No more yellow leaves and all the buds have opened. It's a veritable cacophany of flowers.

o

Nice growing!

o

Light is King!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here