Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cymbidium Division? When?

Posted by caedmon none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 17:40

I have a Cym that is going to need to be repotted. It's out of room, and it has been in the pot for two years (at least). When is a good time to repot it? I live in TN. It has started four new growths, but I haven't seen any bloom spikes yet. Last year, it had many more new growths, and I word that it is pot-bound�

Also, while I've seen some instruction on how to do the repot, and what the medium should look like, I'd love some tips on that too.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cymbidium Division? When?

The best time to repot is after it finishes blooming and before it starts growing, right now actually is probably a good time. Leave at least 3 adult pbulbs with each division and when you clean off the bracts around the old bulbs watch out for new growth which is easily dislodged at that time.

Nick

o

Thanks! On it this week. I have a miniature Cattleya NOID that needs a repot as well. I suppose I'll hit them both at the same time.

o

In regards to getting it to bloom - can you tell us the conditions it receives such as water, light? cymbidium.org is a good source of info.

o

I water it once weekly, by soaking it really well. It sits in a Southwest facing window, which receives moderate light (occasionally bright). We are in a new house this year, and I have until this house been able to have it outside during the summer. Frankly, I'm having to find good spots for all of my plants, and some are responding more favorably than others.

Anyhow, we don't have any protected areas to keep it from getting fried outside, so it might live indoors this year. Last year, it started seven spikes, but only two finished (the others browned and dried up). So, I don't expect blooms from it. It seems happy, not to leggy, and a nice healthy green.

I don't have a regular regimen for fertilizer. (guilty, guilty, guilty)

o

Consider fertilizing every time you water - with a flushing with pure water every month or two. Many people found it more realistic to just fertilize with a weak solution at every watering, so there is no need to stick to (and potentially mess up!) a regimen.

o

Does it at least get some direct sunlight, even if it is diffused or filtered?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here