Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oseng

Repotting cirr. Elizabeth Jean

oseng
14 years ago

I would like suggestions on how to repot my cirr. Elizabeth Jean. It is currently potted in bark, in a clay pot. New pseudobulbs usually come up around the edges, so blooms usually hang over the rim of the pot, but are covered by the leaves. Also, the center of the plant looks bald as old bulbs lose their leaves. How should I repot this orchid so its beautiful blooms will be displayed to their fullest? Thanks in advance for your help.

{{gwi:152132}}

Comments (9)

• orchidnick
    14 years ago

I like them in wooden baskets with moss.

Nick

• highjack
    14 years ago

I put my Bulb. Elizabeth Ann (Buckleberry) FCC/AOS in a wire basket with sphag liner and CHC mix and hang it to display the blooms. {{gwi:152134}}

I have since changed to net baskets so I can sit the basket on a table until I need to hang it due to size. {{gwi:152135}} Because of the depth of the net pot I line it with sphag, use p'nuts to partially fill it and then a CHC mix for the media.

To get the best display, you need to pot the plant high so the new pbulbs will eventually grow over the edge so the roots can attach to the sphag.

With this method you will eventually have to hang the container or divide and repot.

Brooke

• richardol
    14 years ago

{{gwi:152138}}I would re-pot that plant. I would take perhaps 3 or 4 leads and put them around the edge of a shallow pot or saucer in sphagnum. Point them over the edge as that is how they show off well. The spikes hang down naturally.

Send me the backbulbs if you are planning to throw them out. I'll pay shipping. Use the gardenweb email.

• ifraser25
    14 years ago

I agree. Baskets are a very good option for Bulbo- types as they are very apt to "wander".

• oseng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I think I'll repot in a net basket, just like you said, Brooke, and then hang the basket up when it gets larger. I'm going to the Philadelphia Flower Show tomorrow - I'm hoping to get repotting supplies there from an orchid vendor. Will email you, richardol, when I have the backbulbs. Beautiful bulbophyllims, by the way, Brooke and richardol!

• Sheila
    14 years ago

Brooke, that is stunning! I need one of these. I've never tried bulbos, will they handle hot weather?

• highjack
    14 years ago

Thanks - most bulbos are warm growers and love moisture.

Brooke

• richardol
    14 years ago

{{gwi:152141}}I got a package in the mail today, thank you so much cerius. AND a bonus Encyclia cochleata three backbulb piece.

There are two groups of pseudobulbs, one of which has pseudobulbs with leaves. I believe there is one lead in there too.

The Encyclia is in good condition too. No roots or leaves, but it will sprout shortly.

This is a great starting point and I should be able to get many of them to sprout. I'll keep a journal.

• oseng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're welcome, Richard! Glad to know you'll be able to sprout the pbulbs. I will post pictures when my newly repotted orchid blooms next year (hopefully). I am looking forward to getting your bulbo in the mail. Thanks!