Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found first orchid (unnamed)

Posted by MojaveLove 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 18:36

Stopped by HD and picked out an orchid that I thought looked pretty healthy. The roots were wrinkled and I figured they were just dehydrated. Watered it when I got back and they're already starting to look a bit better.

Anyway, it is one of those add ice types, found out that those that don't sell go back to the vendor so if you're waiting for them to go on sale at HD sounds like they won't be. Just wanted to post some pics to see if any of you can name it for me, and also if it looks like it is in good condition. One thing you'll notice is the roots have gone mad and are all over the place. Should I keep them this way or trim them? There are a few unhappy looking roots too that I took pics of. Also noticed that there are two flower stems they chopped off at some point, wonder if this flower is an active bloomer and they didn't want to sell an orchid with so many stems.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found first orchid (unnamed)

Your orchid looks in pretty good condition. Could be a Phalaenopsis or a Doritaenopsis of which there are tens of thousands of hybrids registered by the Royal Horticultural Society so your chances of getting a name are pretty slim.

The just add ice thing is a gimmick to stop over-watering which is the most common cause of orchid death.

Lots of past threads about Phalaenopsis worth reading, just put Phalaenopsis in the search box at the top of this discussions page to find them.

o

Thanks - I figured it was a slim chance to find out the actual name :)

I would never water any plants with ice, never heard of such a ridiculous thing before. Like others I thought maybe there was some new weird type of orchid.

In terms of those air roots, I'm not too crazy about them growing vertical, (due to a plastic bag around the plant), will they turn down at some point or can I trim them a bit? With the roots that have a dead portion on them, leave it be, trim the dead portion, or trim that entire root?

o

I'll admit, I'm a big fan of roots, whatever direction they decide to grow. My advice is to let them be as long as they are alive, trimming only the dead portions. Hopefully they will come down without the support of the plastic bag. Aerial roots are part of phalaenopsis growing, in my experience.

o

You are in zone 5. Those aerial roots will dry up indoors due to the dry air.

If it were my plant, I'd repot in a slightly larger pot with a mix of med/small bark and some sphag. You could soak the plant roots for a few hours to soften them and attempt to bend them down lower.

Otherwise, leave well enough alone. The plant looks healthy and you have growing roots (green tips).

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here