Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown, white, small balls ?

Posted by ice_cream_lover Mexico (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 18:37

Thanks for your help, I found today lots of small balls like pellets on one of my phal's roots,some are brown and others white, they're hard, the size is about the diameter of graphite bar #7 for mechanical pencil (or the size of the letter "o" in this forum )and something like a white veil began to appear on my phal's roots. Most of the roots were soggy and squishy. I cut off all the damaged roots and used lots and lots of cinnamon. The phal is getting a beautiful spike I hope the sipkie is ok. What are those balls ??
Thank you so much,
Alma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown, white, small balls ?

You might research scale or mealy bugs in an attempt to identify the insect(s).

o

Some time-release fertilizer pellets are as you describe. Can you attach a photo?

o

I agree with philohela, it is time release fertilizer. You should not put cinnamon on roots. The white veil is probably the normal, natural covering on Phal roots.

Jane

o

Thanks for your help. I don`t use fertilize pellets. Those balls are some kind of infection or bug or something. The balls were really hard and the white veil was thick, I'm sure it wasn't normal part of the roots, the roots became soggy in about 10 days. I'm sorry I don`t have pictures I panic, rinse the roots and cut them off, Can you think in something else??
Thank you very much,
Alma

o

My vote goes to expended fertilizer pellets, not necessarily put there by you. The hard casings of the pellets could be several years old. Roots sound like mold caused by overwatering and decomposed media. Air drying roots after trimming beats using cinnamon, which will be overkill in these circumstances.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here