Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repot of Clowesetum hybrid

Posted by granniek SC Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 18:55

The new growth is almost as tall as last years psb and has lots of roots. I got this from SVO last year. It came to me growing in spag. Do I remove the old spag? Are these roots, what's left of last years & the new growing ones, fussy about being disturbed? Is spag a good medium? I grow a lot of my plants with half spag & half clay pellets to insure good drainage. Other plants I grow totally in the pellets.

I'm hoping this one will bloom this summer and want to keep it happy. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Sheila :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repot of Clowesetum hybrid

You've got through the worst. Catas and affiliates are notorious for dying during the winter in "captivity", so well done. They are not fussy about compost. In fact many grow in clumps in poor dirt at the base of trees in open forests rather than in the branches in the dense jungle. Most are from drier parts of the Amazon and Mato Grosso region. I think you could grow them in almost anything - I have had best results in fine, dusty bark - but make sure they are kept very warm and bone dry during winter then soaked in the summer. - Ian.

o

Sheila I don't have many of this family but mine don't mind repotting. All of mine are in sphag and tree fern, I soak thoroughly and it pulls off easily. They get repotted yearly so it isn't hard.

Brooke

o

Thx guys. SVOs website gives the warnings re the winter season and good guidelines on when to resume water/feed. No specific info on the repotting though.

I had a beautiful plant that I bought in bud many years back and yes, I killed it during it's dormant season. I REALLY want to grow/bloom this one!

Brooke, if your still 'with me'. I'm so happy with the P. stuartiana. The blooms are still so beautiful. I had expected they'd be short-lived, so it's a nice surprise!

Sheila :)

o

I thought you would love the stuartiana - it does bloom for a long time.

Brooke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here