Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help?! New phal with weird growth on roots.

Posted by hampshire_uk uk (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 20:43

I bought this Phal today at Ikea and apparently was far less careful than I realised when checking the roots as I found this when I got home. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Does anyone know what this could be? And do I need to remove it straight away or would it be ok for a few days till I get cinnamon and bark to do a proper repot?

The rest of the plant seems to be healthy, Image and video hosting by TinyPic
And the roots are ok, there's a small amount of rotten ones but the bulk of them look all right.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

When I bought it the roots were soaked through, so I'm letting it dry. I've also kept it in the packaging as previous orchid's I've bought tend to drop buds when I bring them home, so i'm leaving it on to acclimate them. Will this help in the slightest or should I just get that off to help it dry out?

I'm very much a newbie in this so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. sorry for the badly lit photos. Our flats wiring is beyond dodgy and lightbulbs keep dying quicker than I can replace them

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help?! New phal with weird growth on roots.

Pretty orchid!

Looks to be some type of fungal/mold thing to me, but not too serious. I'd either remove the affected roots or douse with hydrogen peroxide or some other anti-fungus treatment (or both).

Also, take it out to the plastic wrap, that won't help it to acclimate. If anything it would be detrimental by stopping airflow, which may be the reason for the fungus/mold in the first place.

Good luck,

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here