Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico45ser

Den. nobile advice

allymarie
10 years ago

Hi,

I bought this den nobile today.It has lots of keikis, actually the keikis have keikis.I noticed black discoloration under the leaves where it attaches to the cane.Some leaves have it and some don't. I took off one of the flowering keiki and it has the same thing.My gut feeling is telling me it is infected with something.Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks!

Allymarie

Comments (14)

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anotner pic

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Is the black removable with alcohol and a paper towel or is it encased in the leaves?

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning,

I read a few older posts but didn't find anything on the black stuff under leaves.Yesterday I did some research on the internet about them on other sites with no luck.It has 10 keikis and I was so excited about the keikis I
    didn't look over the orchid as I usually do and missed the black spots. I did try rubbing it off with an alcohol pad and it came off.Any idea what I'm dealing with?

Allymarie

10 years ago

black sooty mold. It is secretions of ants. They suck on sugars that are released. That is the digested results of the sugar. Clean the rest with alcohol. It is a result of ant problems that the previous grower had. You are good to go!

• lisa_z5wmi
    10 years ago

I have that on some of my dens as well but I've never seen any ants in my greenhouse (not that they aren't there). I have attributed it to poor airflow. I will be working on improving the airflow if the weather ever warms up here and then I can compare the results. It does wipe off pretty easily.

10 years ago

It does not have to be ants. It frequently is but add scale, aphids. In south florida we got overwhelmed by a spiral white fly. An invasive bug that came through the org of Miami. They are the worst. Basicly it is sucking insects.

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sooooooo relieved! Thank you ever so much for your advice, especially to SM.I was planning to make a trip to the nursery for a trade in.I'm so happy it's nothing serious.I'm going to clean the plant up and remove the flowering keikis.Thanks again!

allymarie

10 years ago

It is more serious if the problem was caused by your growing area. The only concern is if there were any hitchhikers...

Are you up to speed on when to hold back water and fertilizer for nobile type dens.?

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I'm suppose to taper off watering and fertilizing by Thanksgiving and and don't resume until Jan/Feb.During winter if I see the canes getting wrinkled I give a little water.Lots of sunlight while at rest.SM, any specific tips or info for growing nobilies in So Fl that would help me care for this orchid properly?

Allymarie

10 years ago

I stop fertilizer Oct. 1. I move them so they can get rain. If the rain is sparse I give them some water but not much. If there is no rain for 10 to 14 days I help them along. When I see the first sign we are pregnant, lots of food and water. They bloom January thru March.

I think it is a survival technique. The lack of food and especially water threatens their existence. Survival says make seeds. Flowers before seeds. With lots of food and water during the blooming season and not threatened, they make keikis instead...

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks SM, appreciate the growing tips immensely.

Allymarie

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Slight correction: sooty mold is not the secretions thenselves. It is a mold/mildew that grows ON the secretions.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Actually I've heard to stop fertilizing dends in August (clouds orchids culture notes). My nobile made a keiki this year and I did just that, but it was outside until mid October, so it may have gotten some from the rain.

Enjoy the babies!