Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
split cymbidiums

Posted by laopi z5b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 20:53

Hi,

I'll split my cymbidiums this spring, from internet I got, after potting them, I should put them in aheavy shade and cool place, can I put it in basement?

thanks.
peter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: split cymbidiums

The answer to the question is that they should be outside as soon as the danger from frosts is over. Ideally, they should be outside all year getting all day sunlight filtered by shade-cloth appropriate to the latitude.... in Canada that might mean no shading at all.

o

Absolutely. Good advice, Arthur.

o

• Posted by jamcm Ottawa Area, Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 7:50

Hi Peter,

That's often the problem with the internet - the advice you get has to be interpreted. Many sites, for example, will tell you to put all of your orchids in filtered shade, which is perfectly ok... if you're in Florida. Here in Canada, where I once counted only five somewhat sunny days in a December, our plants need as much sun as they can get.

I've always found that the ideal place for a Cymbidium is a very sunny patio door. To sum it up, Cymbidiums like lots of light and during the winter, they like really, really cool nights. When the risk of frost is gone in your area, put it outside in a shady spot and gradually, over a couple of weeks, bring into more light. Think of it as building a base tan. They will eventually be able to tolerate almost full sun (not full middday, but anything else is ok). Leave it outside until just before the first frost in the Fall, then keep it in a very sunny spot where it's also a bit cooler. Windows fit the bill. And be sure to put it right in the window, as light levels drop off dramatically even a foot away from the window and you really do need as much light as you can get.

I've enclosed a Cymbidium culture sheet, which was developed by the Canadian Orchid Congress. It really sums up what you need to do and the advice was written by and for Canadians, though I often think they're good for any indoor growers.

Cheers,

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: COC - Cymbidium Culture Sheet

o

thanks everyone, I almost kill my orchid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here