Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is my Zygo growing?

Posted by jbw1984 11a (socal) (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 21:33

Hello folks--

My zygopetalum got off to a rough start in November when I brought it home--the buds did not open and I had to cut off both spikes. (Asked the experts on here how to deal with it.)

The plant seems to have become quite happy since then, and it's growing new stuff now that it's "spring" in socal.

However I am a bit concerned/intrigued about this: I can't identify what it's growing. It's not a spike, and it doesn't look like a new pseudobulb based on the number of "leaves" on it. The new growth doesn't resemble anything else on the plant.

Can anyone identify for me what is developing at the base of the plant? It's in the foreground of the picture.

Thanks for any insights.

This post was edited by jbw1984 on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 21:35

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is my Zygo growing?

New growth. The bulb doesn't come until last.

Glad it's growing well for you.

o

Thanks terpguy. Growing well SO FAR-- don't jinx it! I am not moving it from the awkward spot it's at in my kitchen---I even worry about putting it back when I water it.

o

try to water it from below so you don't get water on the leaves, causes terrible black spotting that can take over and desiccate your growth. ginnibug

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here