Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
phal didn't bloom as she used to

Posted by ice_cream_lover Mexico (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 23:29

Hello everyone! I got a question: My phals are blooming and one of them didn't bloom as much as she used to. During the years she got 2 keikis and bloomed around 12 flowers per stem. The mother phal got 2 stems. Last year began to grow another keiki, so I got 4 pahls in one, that youngest keiki is also blooming, but the mother phal this year didn't havethe ampunt of flowers that she used to.
Do you have any idea what's going on ? Did I do something wrong ?
Are there many keikis for one mother phal?

Thanks, Alma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: phal didn't bloom as she used to

Hi Alma, I recently went to a grower's talk who addressed this issue. He advised removing keikis from mother phals because they take her energy away. Therefore she may not bloom in the following seasons. You may want to try removing the keikis and potting them up separately.

o

Hi! thank you for answering. Do you have any idea how to separate a phal keiki?
The mother phal's roots are really tangle with her 3 keiks ? Should I cut the youngest keiki's root to repot it ? Should I repot her 3 keikis ?

Thanks for your help!
Alma

o

Can you post a picture of the mother and the keikis?

I am not sure the best way to separate the keikis if they are not on an old flower spike. But posting a picture may help to generate some more suggestions for you to consider.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here