Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felicia_schneider

Crystal soil for orchids

felicia.schneider
14 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone had tried to use the crystal soil for orchids yet. When I talked to the people that where selling it they said that orchids do alot better in it. I have 2 that are in the crystal soil right now.One I havn't seen much change in, the phalaenopsis I have is actully growing another leaf and all the leaves seem to be much stronger. My other orchid is a cane species ( I can't think of the name...it startes with a D") I just havn't seen much change in that one. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• fxxy
    14 years ago

What is crystal soil????? Never heard of this medium

• felicia.schneider
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its these small bead like objects that hold water, they are supposed to provide sufficient moisture to promote healthy plant growth...try looking them up...I havn't had much luck with finding the website information...its an interesting consept. You are supposed to be able to put liquid plant food in them too. They absorbe liquid...I am just not sure if they are going to work.

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

I experimented with this stuff a while back - didn't do too well, although in theory it might work with moisture loving plants. Definitely not good for things that need to dry out in between watering though because the spheres stay uniformly moist as they shrink. Maybe something like a phrag would like it. I do wonder how fertilizer is applied though

• orchid126
    14 years ago

Are you talking about the crystals that are added to soil that expand when watered and hold extra moisture? I use these in the soil for my vegetable garden. Never heard of using them for orchids.

• felicia.schneider
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This particular medium(?) is like little water beads that expand to hold moisture and your not supposed to need to do anything else to them. I have 3 orchids in them right now. My phalanopsis seem to enjoy it very much. One has even started growing 2 new leaves. (I was very excited about this) I havnt noticed any change, negitive or postive in the other one(its a cane type not sure off the top of my head which one it is). As to letting the orchids roots not dry out, I have noticed I have to rewater the beads about once every 2 or 3 weeks. It takes 6 hours for the beads to expand agian. This too is the first time I have really done that too. So this is all trial and error. I am pretty sure none of my plants will bloom till winter (I bought them from a grocery store in november or there abouts in bloom) The new phala is in bloom and was when I put it in the beads and its been about 2 weeks and it is still blooming so it must be happy. I was really just wondering if anyone else had tried this or not. Thanks for your replies. I will keep you updated if you wish.

• ron_tacoma
    13 years ago

I just did a computer search for crystal soil and nowhere does it say to use it for orchids. In fact it is not recommened. It is cheap enough I seen one place at $4 a 1 pound bag, and it is pretty colors. I can see where it might be used for monopodial orchids. But when the manufacturer does not recommend it. I am not going to use it.

• dark_moon
    13 years ago

my Dracula is oversized... i think i may try it on a small division of my Dracula eurythrochate.

• chels_0708_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I Love this Product *BUT* I sent some home to my mom who lives in newfoundland, Canada and all the dye came out of her bubbles!!! I sent all kinds of colors and now she is left with all clear ones!!! Can anyone suggest anything? we tried, Tap water, Well water, and Bottled water too! nothing worked :(

• ifraser25
    12 years ago

Some orchids ie Phalaenopsis don't mind being constantly moist. Others like to dry out between waterings. For the latter type I would not use this medium. - Ian.

• richardol
    12 years ago

I would suggest taking your hard-cane Dendrobium out. These need to dry out (quite dry) between watering and will die if evenly wet.

• p.jeffereson
    11 years ago

NO. crystal soil are not for orchids and other plants that do not need that much water. Water beads are idea for indoor grown plants that needs frequent watering. If you don't have too much time to spare watering everyday, crystal soil is perfect for you. All you have to do is to soak it in water, let in absorb all the water and replace your soil with it. It will keep your plant hydrated for days. I think this post can be helpful.