Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED lighting - anyone using it?

Posted by whitecat8 z4 MN (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 3:36

It seems we haven't discussed this for awhile. Either that, or I'm not finding the thread in the archives.

Does anyone have current info or experience? I've been using a single MR16 bulb, if that means anything to anyone, between two, 45W or so spiral CFLs, all in brooder fixtures. However, I haven't done any experiments.

Thanks, WhiteCat8

Here is a link that might be useful: MR16 LED bulb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED lighting - anyone using it?

I use some on citrus trees that I overwinter in my basement. I started mixing with 100W CFL but over time switch to all LED.

I have been switching all of the lighting in my house to LED, they keep getting better and cheaper.

o

whitecat8,

That's seems very expensive, but then all of Orchid Limited's lights seem on the very high side $$$. I use 90 watt UFO LED lights, they run anywhere from $90-$125 and have 90 watts of LED's, usually come ion a reddish/pinkish tint (I dislike this about them) but bottom line: They do a good job on my 'kids. GOOGLE, '90 watt UFO LED' and be careful which links you follow :-)

I also use a couple of the LED flood lights, like you are listing. If you go to a big home improvement box store, you can find much better/more watts/lumens 'flood' LED's for about 1/2 the price listed at OL. I picked up a 27 watt/1400 lumen one for < $30 a couple of weeks ago.

One of these days I'll replace my 12/T12 tubes on my 3 tiered light cart with 6 LED's tubes, but at $50 a whack it'll be pretty expensive.

Bob

o

I bought the type that are high in the red spectrum and give off that purple neon glow. I started with 2 that were $95 each a few years ago then added 2 more a year later and the price dropped to $75 each. Last year I got 4 more because they had a buy one get one free sale so they ended up being about $40 each.

I only use them Oct - Mar so they should last a long time. I don't know if the red spectrum light thing is BS or not but the plants survive the winter and I've had a lime and lemon tree flower with them. I don't know if it would work for growing year round.

I do like them because of the lower electricity use and they don't give off much heat. So they are cheaper to use and I can put more on a circuit.

I also bought some flood light type bulbs from another
company that were $25 each but the light they gave off was much less intense. Since the light is red they don't seem to be bright but if you look directly at them it does hurt your eyes.

o

Bob, thanks for the tips. Supposedly, the little flood light shows the orchids' actual colors. WC8

o

WC8,

The flood lights from the big box stores have a more natural light, not the pinkish tint. You can usually find them in different daylight colors (2700-6500).

Bob

o

Hi Bob,

Thanks. My little LED floodlight is between two 45W or so spiral CFLs. When I photograph plants at night, there's not that ugly yellow cast that happened when all three lights were CFLs. Instead, the colors seem true.

Is that what you've found?

WC8

o

WC8,

Truthfully, I use my flood LEDs in conjunction with my UFO's (pink) and the pink still overpowers everything else, except right under the floods. I'm not using CFL's any longer, I've used my last 65watt bulb (u-shaped, 4 pins on end) and haven't went on-line to buy any more. Maybe before next fall when they come back inside I'll replace the 2 bulbs. These are in an aquarium type hood set-up with a ballast that I use to hang over the plants on a table next to my light cart, there's also one of the UFO lights hanging over that table.

I personally think the LED floods are better than the CFLs, but they are also about 2-3x the cost per watt still.

Bob

o

Thanks for the additional info.

Do you have any plants outside now? It's 29F here, and some reporting stations close to us have had 11" & 12" of snow in the last few hours. WC8

o

WC8,

No 'kids out yet as it was 25 here yesterday morning and we had 1.5" of snow Tuesday morning, but it was 80 on Sunday!!! I saw a sign yesterday that said: "Spring 2014: April 8th thru April 15th" :)

I plan on cleaning and getting my outdoor set-up ready this weekend. I have a fairly protected area so I may start to bring out some cooler growers (Masdies , catts and a few paphs) in a week or two. I usually wait until the first Ruby Throated HB arrives, that's within 1 or two days of May 1st here in west central Ohio. Warm growers and all phals will stay in until at least late-May. I plan on adding a new growing area on a fairly shaded west facing entryway and should be able to put some more phals there... That area is exposed to the public, hopefully they don't wander off... I'll keep favorite plants in the back yard area, just in case.

I still use a portion of my grow room during the summer, maybe 1/3 of the lights (1 tier of flouros and 1 LED). Usually for special cases or cool growers when it really heats up...

What are your plans?

Bob

o

Weather is weird this year. Just read that the Great Lakes are way more frozen for this date than ever before, which means fish can't spawn on time, among other seeming disadvantages, and the ramifications will last for years.

For the last few years, all my orchids have stayed inside year 'round. For me, neither outside nor inside is ideal, and I've defaulted to inside.

This year, there's been the added variable of keeping the minimum winter temp at 70F, rather than the previous low to mid-60s, in hopes a particular Phal species might be happy. I'll start a separate thread for that.

Just checked - 39 orchid pots. How many do you have these days?

WC8

o

WC8,

I'll have to count, but probably around 80. It's about the max I can deal with indoors without it becoming a real pain. Hope to build an attached greenhouse in the next few years, figuring it out and filling it up will give me something to do to stay out of the wife's hair when I retire in 5 or 6 years :-)

For me, the outside thing is much better and 'easier' to deal with: Light is much better, watering takes 20 minutes as opposed to the 60-90 it takes indoors, good temp swings, saves on the electric bill and ultimately the 'kids really like it out there.

Bob

o

In 5-6 years, Bob, it will be time to move to Sarasota! Lots of Ohioans here all growing orchids. I'm still amazed at how many people moved here from Ohio. It is 'almost,' orchid heaven.

Although, Nicks got everyone beat!

Jane

o

This grow light has Six Band Light Spectrum to help your plants grow to their full potential! This is essential to the fast and healthy growth of your plants. Our LED Grow Lights are used by Master Gardeners, Medical Dispensaries, Home Enthusiasts, Florists, Nurseries & More! Ideal for all Phases of Plant Growth, and Works Well with any Indoor Garden, Hydroponics or Soil Based. These lights will pay for themselves, as your electric bills will drop by 70% - 80% compared to HPS lights!

Here is a link that might be useful: JYO-tech.limited

o

ok check this out Whitecat. This is from one of our society members...

Here is a link that might be useful: The LA shop

o

Thanks for the tips.

o

Those are some amazing prices!!!
I'll have to take a chance me thinks...

Thanks,

Bob

o

yep we have a member who is brilliant, he has built a terrarium with these lights and some sort of flexible clear plexiglass. Made himself a big ol' plastic tube and put these lights on top, Voila!!!gb

o

Hey guys look what my husband just found this morning too!!!! Light meters, and Hygrometers!!!gb

Here is a link that might be useful: Woot Daily Deals

o

ginnibug,

Ordered a few lights (4 of the 225 Natural sunlight type, only wanted 3 but 4 was discounted to same price as 3!) from LAShop yesterday, should arrive next week, plus it was free shipping via UPS Ground. Fairly positive experience so far, I'll post back once I get the lights.

Thanks for the link,

Bob

o

Received my lights in a timely manner, just waited a week or so to set-up.

Not terribly impressed, only 13.5 watts per fixture, but they do cast a nice, livable light. Seemed the light stayed concentrated so that at @ 18" above the plants, the light footprint was pretty similar (12" square) to that of the fixture. Lots and lots of LED's per fixture, but fairly weak. If I were to order more, I'd go with the $59 ultra-thin 36watt units.

3.5 out of 5 stars from me.

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here