Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Option for plant tables?

whitecat8
10 years ago

From Oak Hill's April newsletter:

We also have an over-run of some very robust species of assorted genera that are now ready for potting up into 2.5 - 3" pots. These are a great deal at $1.50 per plant, sold in groups of 25 plants. Check our Bare Root Special page for the full gambit of species offered at this great price!

Best, WhiteCat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Hill Gardens

Comments (5)

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

WC8,

I saw that also, but didn't know what I could do with 25 of the same seedlings... They're having a sale on groups of Cyms and some catts also, but you have to get at least 4 of each genera.

I haven't purchased from them since the switch from Chicago, has anyone else? If so, how about a report back?

Bob

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Can I say I'm not very impressed with Oakhill Gardens sales lately. They are always about bulk selling and never just a discount on individuals. It is a bonanza for wholesalers but it leaves us retail customers out

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

I have ordered from them once since the move, maybe 2 months into the transition. The quality and size of the plants were the sames as the Chicago operation. However I started feeling the like prices were getting slightly higher and, as others pointed out, the sales were not as good. There are other saler who are more expensive but provide larger plants. Those are my go to places now.

My experience with the new Oak Hill operation is from a year ago though. I would like to hear from someone with a more recent experience.

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, Bob, for the 25 plants, I was thinking of society plant tables. 25 would just about double my collection. :)

Terp, do you think they may be ordering a lot of these plants specifically for the bulk sales? (Well, not the Cyms, if they're not going to grow them anymore.) It occurred to me that they may be clearing out inventory to make room for different offerings.

As for purchases, last July, I was thrilled to find they had Habenaria lindleyana - $25, as I recall, which I considered a good price, esp. because I hadn't seen it offered anywhere in the previous 5 years or so.

It died four months later, perhaps because of my limited experience w/ Habs and an unwise switch of medium.

In the process, Linnzi held my hand via email and was extra responsive and helpful, w/ Chuck chiming in periodically.

Greencurls, I haven't checked out their site recently.

WhiteCat8

• terpguy
    10 years ago

In reading your question WC I was poised to agree with your thought. The parent company has a laboratory and does their own flasking so it's reasonable to think they are trying to make room for new plants.

If this is the case they are not doing it very efficiently. In my past life, If I wanted to move a bunch of plants quickly, I would discount each plant and watch them fly off the shelves. By requiring a bulk purchase they narrow their pool of potential buyers. It's restrictive given the more retail nature of their clientele who--by definition--generally don't want more than one of any plant. My guess based on my experience is that it's more likely to slow turnover, not speed it.

So either they are going about clearing out inventory inefficiently (I so want to say "the wrong way"...but I won't, especially if it winds up working for them) or they are intentionally catering to a specific subset of customers. Who knows what they are thinking?

This post was edited by terpguy on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 17:31

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths