Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting for Cymbidium orchids

Posted by lonewolf_amar 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 8:30

I have decided to buy a grow hut for my basement in which to grow my Hippeastrum seedlings and Cymbidium orchids in. I was considering a greenhouse but given the MN winters, length and temperature, the heating cost would be substantial. If anyone has any thoughts on this let me know?

Anyways, I am trying to decide on the type of lights I should use. I would love any advice anyone has on this here. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting for Cymbidium orchids

I wonder how many people have tried to grow Cymbidiums under lights? Maybe the lack of a reply here says "not many". Anyway the "Grow Hut" sounds delightful on a cold winter's day.

o

Arthur,

It's all about size and height for most indoor growers. I'd like to try a cym (outside most of year, indoors in winter), but then it would stop me from growing 4-5 others because of the space issues. Same for 'most' oncidium types for me, just too large after a while.

As far as type of lights, I'm not sure how large/tall a grow hut may be, so it's hard to really say. What are the dimensions of the grow hut?

The cyms like very bright light, so either high wattage CFLs (85WATTS or higher IMO), T5's maybe???, High Pressure Sodium and Metal Halide systems should work. LED's are getting cheaper, but still pretty expensive. Lot's of lighting choices out there today.

Bob

o

Get a Cymbidium dayanum. They are available, not too expensive and best of all, small.

o

Thanks Richard,

I'll keep this in mind...

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here