Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

Orchiata source in or close to New York City?

greentoe357
10 years ago

Shipping Orchiata bark by the bag more than doubles the price. Ouch! A local Orchid Society may pool orders and order by the pallet (mixing bark sizes is possible, I understand) - this gives them both the wholesale lower price and much cheaper shipping, so basically half the price, delivered. I am working that angle but it may take a while.

Meanwhile, does anyone know of a good (cheap) local source to buy it somewhere close to here?

Comments (6)

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

It might be worth a call to Hydoponic Garden Center in Queens. It's a little out of the reach by public transportation, but if you have access to a car, it's right on the service road of the Long Island Expressway (westbound). Give a call to see if they have what you're looking for; I've always found them to be really helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydroponic Garden Center

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, they do not carry it. Silva Orchids occasionally places a group order, but I missed that one for now, will have to wait at least a couple months, they say, unless I want smaller quantities at double the price. A local orchid society was ordering 45 bags - missed that by 2 days (grrr!) Anyway, this is not hugely urgent, but if anybody knows a source, I'd appreciate it here even when this thread ages.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

If you have a car, you could try a couple of nurseries in Westchester County, right outside the City. I would call them. Both are right on the Saw Mill Pkwy about 30min from NYC. You could also take Metro North (but you'd have to carry big bags).

Green Valley Nursery in Hawthorne.
    Rosedale Nursery, Hawthorne
    Thought of a 3rd - Sprain Valley Nursery in Eastchester (not positive, just Google it).

Call them and see if they carry it. Maybe they could order it for you. Rosedale has a lot of orchids but their prices are higher.

I order my supplies from my OS. When I lived in NY it was Greater Westchester Orchid Society. They are in Harrison, right off 95 and close to the City. You could try them.

Jane

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the leads, Jane, I'll work the list. No car - I am a proud owner and a frequent user of a NYC metrocard. :-) My friends or brother can help me pick up by car though if I find the bark.

A few of my orchids are in this mix I concocted myself (equal parts pine bark >3/8ths, coarse('ish) perlite and sphagnum moss), but I have no good reason to have a lot of faith in it. Short term it's fine, but Orchiata long term all the way (till they come up with something better).

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For those also interested in Orchiata in NYC area: the best source I found so far is http://www.silvaorchids.com/ in NJ. They periodically (every few months) pool orders and get a pallet. Price is $33-$35+tax depending on the grade ($33 for "Power", or #5). They are at the Green Market on Union Square every Wednesday and every other Saturday, and free bark pickup can be from there if not from their main location.

EDIT: forgot to say, Staten Island Orchid Society people get a pallet annually as well. I missed getting on their order this time, but thought I should mention it for those reading later.

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Thu, May 15, 14 at 14:01

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Thats great!

Jane

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting