Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sambac

Thanks Nick I love this!! Lealia superbiens alba

sambac
13 years ago

Got this from Orchidnick- 2 years ago. Schom albopurpurea used to be my most favorite Schomburgkia class- but this easily took over. Thanks again Nick, BTW, I killed(rather it gave up its life) the bare root ? red Epi frederecki

Lealia superbiens alba

{{gwi:156150}}

{{gwi:156151}}

Comments (8)

• orchidnick
    12 years ago

Great plant, mine is in spike also but at least one or two month from blooming. Congratulations on the good culture to bring it to bloom.

That plant is a monster, I can make other divisions if someone else wants to trade.

Nick

• sambac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, now I remember, the epi I killed was raniferum, we have trade again at some point lol.

• orchidnick
    12 years ago

Epi raniferum is a great plant too. New growth is half completed and it's getting ready to bloom. After that I could offer another sacrificial lamb.

Nick

• sambac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good!

• elvis
    12 years ago

How about my first born child, Nick? I'm 55, so it may be awhile...like in my next life~~

Constance.

• orchidnick
    12 years ago

Great photos, because of your post, the monster is getting smaller. No problem, it grows like a weed.

Nick

• orchidnick
    12 years ago

I was cruising the Orchid Board and found this ad under classified--for sale---page 3--near bottom:

"Scomburgkia superbien var alba 175+ Growths and has CCM

I bought this plant from Santa Barbara Orchid Estate years ago as a very large specimen. Now its even bigger and is time to pass it on to a grower that wants nothing but the best. This plant has about 2 hundred growths, SEVERAL leads, and is 4+ feet in diameter in every way. When it blooms, its like nothing you've ever seen. Plant is in pristine condition and has not one blemish on it. I paid more than what i'm asking for this plant. I buy only the best, and pay to have the best. This plant is for the serious collector and one impressive addition. This plant is shippable and am not sure of the cost and purchaser will be obligated to pay shipping charges. Pictures of actual plant available upon request.
    PLEASE, only serious inquiries."

There is a picture, I'm sure it's the same plant and may well have come from the same source. I keep trimming my plant, have traded away at least 10 to 12 pieces. It sits in a shallow 12" pot and I cut off the overflow when it gets up to 3 or 4 pbulbs. It grows prolifically making 2 new growths out of each lead every time, you do the math. It's an exponential growth and I can see where a 200 bulb plant can happen if you leave it alone.

If anyone wants a REAL monster, you now know where to go, bring lots of money.

Nick

• sambac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Agree, this is a robust grower, making it an attractive plant if you have the space. My Schombos in the ground in full sun are not doing as well as the ones hanging in the tree shade. I hate to see branches breaking from the weight of these monsters!

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company