Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtandrea

waited 4 years for this

vtandrea
9 years ago

I was ready to toss this stubborn oncidium "MacKenzie Mt." because, while it was growing well, it never bloomed. After 4 years of just sitting there, it produced 7 (possibly 8--can't tell yet) flowering spikes. As a plus, they even have a sweet fragrance!

{{gwi:156472}}

Comments (14)

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Wow! It's beautiful! I have one like that I got it last spring. It's been sending out ton of roots and new shoots, everywhere even from the crown and am wondering should I divide it. It was 4 psebulbs when I got it and now 8 but no spike. Any advise from experts? Thank you.

Tanie

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

No expert here, but have some thoughts. Why do you want to divide it? Good reasons include "want to share/sell/trade" or "want to keep it in the same or smaller pot", but I understand they never include "want to encourage it to flower". It may not apply to this orchid, but many flower better/stronger and look better in a bigger clump.

I also wonder if you use a high-nitrogen fertilizer, and if so, whether switching to a high-phosphorus one will encourage it to bloom. There is some controversy whether bloom formulas really do anything, and I do not know what to think about that.

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

That's gorgeous! I think that story is possibly a reason NOT to divide, Tanie. For whatever reason, that Oncidium took that amount of time in that environment to flower. Whether it was the light, the roots in the pot, or that it took 4 years for a season with the temperature swing necessary, it may not have bloomed if it was still acclimating to being divided. If it were me, I'd give it until next spring; if you don't see flowers this fall or next spring, divide and conquer and see what happens. ;)

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Thank you for your advise Greentoe and Danielle. I used M.G 24-8-16. You said I should switch it higher Phosphate. I will look for that but I could find any before. What name and where about should I look for it could you tell me. No I don't have any reason to divide it except for I thought it might be too crowded. So I won't divide it and will wait. I don't know is it good to have so many roots coming out of everywhere like this. All look very healthy root though. Here pictures so you can judge for me. Thank you! Tanie

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Here's another pix.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

> You said I should switch it higher Phosphate.

I didn't say that. I heard that advice from other people, and then I've also heard that bloom boosters are a fad and all plants really use nutrients in 3-1-2 ratio (which your MG formula meets perfectly). I'd like to figure who to believe myself, that is why I brought it up. I personally fertilize with 3-1-2 ratio (Foliage-Pro 9-3-6), but I am far from sure this is the best. I hope others comment or provide links to where to read about orchid fertilizers and how to choose one.

It's hard for me to say if the plant is root-bound. I can see the bark, so maybe not by that measure. Try sliding it out of the pot and see if roots are all over the walls, then maybe repotting is in order. If in doubt, I'd wait, as repotting may delay blooming.

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Thank you Greentoe. I'll wait, may be someone might have more advise for me yet.

Tanie.

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

Everything about that plant looks really healthy, I would leave it be. The roots can grow willy nilly. Many orchids will only flower once rootbound, so I'd let it keep filling up its pot with roots and see what happens. I was pretty sure that the phal below was desperate for a repot, but before I could change out the bark, it grew another spike! And I realized today that it branched not once, but twice!

I have another phal that hasn't flowered for three years. It had nearly died, and the pot I put it in to recover was too big (I was a newbie, I didn't realize). Finally, it has recovered a healthy root system, and now it also has a spike full of buds, and it has also branched out.

I say give it a little more time, see what the fall brings. The drop in evening temps after the warm weather might work some magic for you.

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Thank you Danielle. I have no problem waiting. I know some of you had some orchids for 3,4 years before they rebloom for you and I am just a newbie and just had this onci since last June. Just wanted to know how to care for it properly.
    Tanie

• vtandrea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My post got hijacked! Wanting some compliments on my 4-year journey with my MacKenzie Mt.! And a pat on the back for my incredible rebloom of miltoniopsis in the post far below.

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

It is GORGEOUS!! Sincerely!!

Many kudos and all the high fives. :D

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Vt, I love it! Great growing and it is fragrant.

Jane

• ashes_of_the_fire
    9 years ago

Congrats vtandrea!

I have 2 mtdm Pacific Paragon 'White Lightning'. They haven't bloomed yet in the 3 years I've had them, they were in bad shape when I got them (garden centre rescues). It looks like I have spikes coming on them and I'm excited!

Good growing!

• vtandrea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Nothing like a few pats on the back to keep the orchid lust going.