Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralleia

Help! Cat bite damage on orchids.

ralleia
14 years ago

A week or two I noticed one of the cats had knocked over an orchid plant but I just cleaned it up and didn't think much of it.

Then some of the leaves started to blacken and now I realize that the plants have bite and tear marks on most of the leaves. I'm sickened and angry that I didn't realize there was chewing earlier.

Will the plants recover?

Comments (5)

• penelope14
    14 years ago

Hi,

I have 3 cats, one of whom is my "plant predator" so I can understand you frustration.

To answer your question, the leaves will retain the chew and shred marks. Unless your feline managed to gnaw everything down to the bark, it will be fine. It'll take a while for the plant to put out enough new leaves and for the chewed leaves to drop off before all signs will be gone.

I've had moderate luck with Bitter Apple. It won't damage leaves but can damage blooms. If possible, put the plant out of reach or ban your cat (like I have) from the growing area if possible.

Good luck,

Penelope

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

After my cats did a number on a few of the orchids I had indoors, I gave them their own pot of grass to gnaw on instead of the orchids. They never touched them again. You can buy the cheap 'bare spot grass seed' in a small pkg, sow a teaspoon or two in a pot and give it to the cats when it sprouts. Remake as needed. The seed package will last for a couple years that rate.

• picotee_sofl
    14 years ago

My rascally furball always has his own pot of kitty grass available but still likes to take a 'sample' of any orchid that is within his reach on the orchid bench as he struts along the screened in balcony ledge. Fortunately the damage is minimal - just a nibble along the edge of the leaf but it is aggravating nonetheless. I think he really does it just to see my reaction. He's quite the gamester.

• carolinn_on
    14 years ago

Kitty grass makes no difference for my felines. They don't even like it. Neither do Chlorella tablets, but they like them and it's good for them.

I try to keep away the grassy types from their reach..these are the ones they really go for...My Max. tenuifolia got a "haircut" not long ago. A scolding helps after the fact. I try to make them feel guilty. lol.

Carol

• hort_lvr_4life
    14 years ago

Lucky for me, my cat could care less about any plant except Dracena marginata so I don't have that anymore. I have heard of using Cayenne pepper in the soil - they don't like the smell and will leave the plants alone. I have purchased some organic spray from Petco that keeps cats from scratching furniture, eating the Christmas tree (we go through that), etc. Since it's derived from plants maybe you can use that? Can't remember the name, but it's in a white bottle. It has a sticker label with the picture of [yes, a cat] with an orange- colored border. I hope this helps.