Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ifraser25

Ice in the tropics

ifraser25
12 years ago

For those of you who doubt the veracity of those who say they occasionally add ice to their orchids to stimulate flowering, take a look at this photo of our garden, taken after a severe hailstorm. It was already several minutes after the hail had stopped falling and the ice was already beginning to melt - I was reluctant to go out and shoot during the storm itself as the marble sized hailstones were very painful and caused a lot of damage!

I hasten to add that this is not a frequent occurrence: it is only the second time in the 8 years I have been living here I can recall significant hail falling and of course it only lasts a very short time. - Ian.

{{gwi:156951}}

Comments (2)

• westoh Z6
    12 years ago

I'd guess if the plants had to rely on the hail to initiate flowering, blooms every 8 years would be really special.

I think most people's issue with ice comes when you are told to use it as the only method to water the 'kids, as with Just Add Ice Orchids.

Ian, we got hail the size of baseballs in a couple of places here in the US this weekend. Scary stuff IMO, pounds the heck out of homes, cars and plants.

Bob

• whitecat8
    12 years ago

That's quite the sight, Ian. Growing up in Arkansas, we ran outside to stand in zero F degree weather, it was so rare.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022