Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new tool in my arsenal

Posted by newbiehavinfun 7a - Southern NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 11:33

A week or so ago, I figured out that the reason my miltoniopsis was having so much trouble was that its pot was standing in water and its medium was decomposing. So I cut away the rotting areas, threw away the old medium, threading through the roots with a fork to remove any of the old stuff, and repotted. I also applied (and this is kind of weird and gross) nail fungus cream. Yes, nail fungus cream, to the roots closest to the rot. And it worked! The psuedobulbs are harder and the leaves look great.

I also used the nail fungus cream on a cattleya that I accidentally overwatered. I noticed that its above ground roots had fuzzies on them, so I pasted on some cream overnight. It killed the fungus and the catt seems to be very happy. In fact, it started new growth this week, so I'm happy as well! Yay!

Megan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new tool in my arsenal

Interesting, will have to remeber that if my orchids have fungal problems, LOL..

o

You might not want to LOL about fungus problems, gesjenn, you can get them in a heartbeat.

Megan, thanks for the tip! Indeed, a new weapon in the arsenal.

o

This reminds me of the time I got ringworm from rescuing some kittens a few years back. I went to my local CVS for a tube of yeast infection cream ...the whole time I was trying to convince the sales person that the cream was for ringworm, not a yeast infection.

Looks like now I can try convincing them that the cream is for my orchid, LOL.

Thanx for the tip Megan! Extra points for being resourceful and creative!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here