Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micki_t

Angraecum terrarium supplemental lighting

Micki_t
9 years ago

Hi

I am hoping to gain your advice on supplemental lighting for a terrarium that I am currently building for my log mounted Angraecum orchids (and as many other species as I can fit in, of similar climatic conditions).

The terrarium will be getting full mid-day sun light in the spring to autumn period, and will be appropriately shaded and ventilated to suit this aspect. In the winter, the sun hits the eastern-facing wall in my living room all morning, and I intend to possibly move the terrarium there for that period of the year.

In your opinion, do you think supplemental lighting would be needed for these orchids during the winter period if I move the terrarium?

I am also at the same latitude as Hudson's bay (Newcastle, UK), so it is quite dark here in the winter, so I also wondered if supplemental lighting would be advised generally for the winter for these orchids?

Lastly, what are your experiences of using supplemental lighting with Angraecoids, or similar (T5/8s? CFLs? Watts? Cool/Warm ratios? Hours required?), and which lighting arrangement do you think would best suit my needs?

I have attempted to illustrate the possible lighting arrangements I can think of in the picture, with the yellow strips being t5/t8 type lights, and the hanging things being CFLs (the picture is terrible I know! :).

My biggest concern would be not giving the light where needed, and also lighting up my living room like a football pitch! It would be great to keep wattage low, and minimise the amounts of lights needed, but I will do whatever is best for the plants, I hope!

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.