Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrinkled leaves and flowers, buds yellowing

Posted by summer005 FL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 12:10

I am new to orchids...I had my very first one two years ago and the florist said to water w 3 ice cubes once a week. It eventually looked like it died but I couldn't bear to through it away. I left it outside and two years later it started to bloom. However the leaves had turned yellow and wrinkled. This had inspired me to get a bunch more. I live in Miami and they are in an eastern facing window that gets a lot of morning sunlight. I have them out of direct sun on the side of the large window. I water them every 7-10 days with the water running out of the bottom before I put them back in there spot. I noticed they were getting wrinkled on the flowers themselves so put some fertilizer for orchids in their water. The flowers still appear to be wrinkled and now one of the plants leaves are becoming wrinkled. I also noticed buds turning yellow and falling off. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrinkled leaves and flowers, buds yellowing

Welcome!
I suggest you read "Ask The Experts " above. Otherwise you will need to give the name of your orchids so posters can offer specific advise. Three ice cubes won't cut it. Two years? you need to re-pot unless they are in inorganic media. Orchids are fun to have but they have specific needs related to type. So post some names or types and folk here will/can help. Hey, a few photos will help! You can Google "Orchid Re-potting" and find a ton of show-and-tell sites.
Keep us posted!
Julysun
Julysun

o

Oh---forgot to post the name they are Phalaenopsis orchids. I did re-pot the older one a couple days ago and cut off all the dead roots so hoping it will help.

o

Phals are warm growing so I'm not sure why your florist would recommend the ice cube water every week...maybe to get it to flower, but it still doesn't explain why you need to be doing it year round.

I want to help but I need more info:

What medium and type of pot is the phal growing in?
What kind of fertilizer do you use, what are its N-P-Ks, and how much and how often do you apply?
Are there white crusts along the top of the medium and pot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here