Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Pamela Hetherington

Posted by treehugger100 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 13:34

Does anyone have a mericlone from the old Stewart Orchids' beauty Pamela Hetherington? Help in finding this plant would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Pamela Hetherington

http://www.1888orchids.com/product_p/a00136.htm. $75+shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.1888orchids.com/product_p/a00136.htm

o

Thanks, Julysun. This one shown is Pamela Hetherington Coronation. There are several out there with the PH prefix. None have the elegant scent of the original and the color is off. The original from Stewart Orchids (I believe 1970) was just Pamela Hetherington.

o

I got a PH of sorts. The tag is lost and someone from the society ID it the last time it bloomed. I have no idea if it's the original or one of the others.

The flowers are beautiful.

Nick

o

treehugger, I noticed that you are straddling the Md/Pa, Mason Dixon Line. Have you checked with Fishing Creek Orchids in Harrisburg? Steve Male is one of the good ol' boys!

--Stitz--

o

Orchidnick - I emailed you about this. I would love a division if that's OK with you. Let me know. Even if it turns out not to be PH, I appreciate the opportunity.

o
RE: still..Looking for Pamela Hetherington

Hi Stitz

I emailed Steve at Fishing Creek this morning. Thanks for the lead. She MUST be out there somewhere!

o

treehugger,

Check Waldor in NJ and Chadwicks in Va, purveyors of fine, old-timey Catt hybrids. While this hybrid isn't currently listed, I gotta believe that these people have it in their stash. It's too important an orchid to "sell out". You may end up on a division list.

--Stitz--

o

Hi Stitz,

I shot an email to Chadwick's in Va. Will let you know what shakes out.

Waldor said they would look and get back to me but did not think so.

Thanks for keeping the brilliant ideas coming!!!

Terri

o

Terri,
Check out the link below. I knew that at the price that Waldor asks, they can't afford to NOT keep this plant around! I guess it doesn't really matter if you don't want the cultivar 'Coronation'.

It was good exercise for me. I dusted off some old cobwebs! :)

--Stitz--

Here is a link that might be useful: Waldor

o

Thanks, again Stitz. I have emailed Waldor and he said he would check. I will let you know what I find out.

My second choice would have been PH 'Pastel' but I cannot locate the cultivar either. If anyone runs across a 'Pastel" please let me know.

It's a shame that new and improved has completely replaced the antique orchids. I love the sprawling elegance of the orchids from the 70s. Is it just me?

o

The reason why those orchids have been partially replaced is ease of culture and space. Not many have the space to grow large Cattleyas.

"The sprawling elegance" in some cases became just floppy. I'd rather grow Cattleyas that do not need a lot of grooming when they go to greet the judges.

On the question of Blc. Pamela Hetherington 'Coronation' does anyone know what level of award that orchid received in the USA?

o

To each his own. Some people prefer English cottage gardens and some prefer landscapes that are meticulously manicured.

o

" On the question of Blc. Pamela Hetherington 'Coronation' does anyone know what level of award that orchid received in the USA? "

arthur, According to the statistics provided through OrchidWiz, PH was registered by Stewart in 1970. This hybrid was first awarded an AM/AOS in 1972 to 'Gay' and later, an HCC/AOS to 'Pastel' in 1978.

'Coronation' was first awarded in 1977 with an AM/AOS and later in 1981 with an FCC/AOS. The exhibitor was Stewart.

'Coronation' was also awarded later in Australia.

--Stitz--

o
new and improved

" It's a shame that new and improved has completely replaced the antique orchids. I love the sprawling elegance of the orchids from the 70s. Is it just me?"

Does Cattleya Bob Betts ring a bell? :)
Terri, there are fewer of us....and the numbers aren't growing!

--Stitz--

o

Stitz,

Oh, I know. I can recognize emerging trends and see the sense in it for growers and showers. But I prefer antiques anyway... never did get an SUV. : )

Bob Betts? Of course! and Kensington used to be close to home. I lived at all the orchid nurseries then. Now you can buy catts on eBay.

It's interesting that 'Coronation" is still so highly priced and hard to find. Most places are sold out, even Waldor.

o

My records of 10 years ago show that I purchased a PH 'Coronation'. A division of that survives. As I stated the tag got lost and last year someone ID it as PH. So the tag as we speak reads PH ???. Sorry it's not divisible but if and when it goes to 2 growing leads I can contact you. I put a tag on it with your ID but it will be a number of years.

Nick

o

Here is a very old time orchid. Do not know how it has survived so long in cultivation as most fall by the wayside as fashions change. What you see is what you get without corsets, packing and so on.
Cattleya Heloise
Cattleya Heloise
Autumn Cattleya time in the Southern Hemisphere and it is interesting to note that time old-time orchids are still coming first in the cluster Cattleya Class and might win a show champion ribbon. I am talking about Cattleya Portia, Porcia and similar orchids.

o

http://fujinursery.shop-pro.jp/?pid=9778850, Is this what you are looking for? ;-))

Here is a link that might be useful: ph

o

Close enough. This one is in Japan? That's a bit far.

o

You could try John Paul Jones at Misty Valley orchids in Woodland Hills, CA - he used to have the PH 'Coronation' clone.

o

Thanks, Adam! I will contact them today.

o

try the orchid mall on the internet, they have a classified section and you might find one there. ~Charm

o

I also am desperately seeking pamela hetherington cattleya

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here