Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ctsm questions

Posted by granniek SC Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 14:13

I have new growth on a Rebecca Northern cross from SVO. It has about half a dozen roots that are 2-3" long. The new growth itself is now as tall as the psb it's attached to. Is it time to pot it up and start the water/feed? Also how much sun can this plant take?

I also have one large bulb that an OS member was going to throw away. The bottom 2" of it was getting soft. I brought it home, split that area open, dipped it in peroxide and put it in front of a fan. It dried out fine (it's now 4-5" tall)& no more overly soft spots...but will it still sprout a new growth after losing the base of the bulb?

TIA, Sheila :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ctsm questions

Sheila, time to pot up your Rebecca Northern and feed/water. It will take Cattleya light, but go easy on it and let it adjust gradually. Do not put it in direct Texas sun at noon although it can take early morning sun.

The surviving bulb can sometimes be induced to sprout from the dormant eyes which run up and down the bulb on two sides. I usually lay it on its side in a potting mix, occasionally wetting the mix down, and keeping it in a humid spot. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't sprout. Either way, it will be a couple years before the it will be at a mature size to bloom.

Good luck.

o
RE: Ctsm questions

Thx Carol. I went to SVO's website and found good info on dealing with the newly rooted plant. I'll follow your advice on the other bulb. Had I realized the bottom section of it was soft, I'd not have even brought it home.

Sheila :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here