Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
C forbesii over-potted???

Posted by granniek SC Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 14:19

I just received this plant and I'm wondering if I should repot it. It appears to have been recently repotted and I'd hate to keep disturbing it. Any thoughts?

C. forbesii

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: C forbesii over-potted???

Yes I think it is over potted. Don't worry about disturbing it, I see a couple of new growths and new roots. This is the appropriate time to do it.

They do prefer slightly less light than a "regular" catt and also to never totally dry out.

They also bloom a couple of times a year :>)

Brooke

o

Listen to Brooke, and do what she says.

o

repot it, asap, into a smaller container. The newly emerging roots are your indicator that NOW is the "right" time.

--Stitz--

o

Thx guys. Just needed to confirm my 'gut' feeling.

Brooke, sounds like you grow this one. Does it bloom as a young plant? This smallish plant was advertised as BS and it does look like it has a dried sheath. Thx for the culture info.

o

Sheila, I have grown Cattleya forbesii for decades. This species blooms more easily than others. It also has an unfortunate trait -- it can bloom itself to death.

--Stitz--

o

I do have it Shiela and yours looks to be BS.

Stitz I must remember your excuse - very unique - much better than I carked it :>)

Brooke

o

Ahhh Stitz, If you've had it for decades, you obviously enjoy it enough to keep purchasing it. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it bloom!

o

" Ahhh Stitz, If you've had it for decades, you obviously enjoy it enough to keep purchasing it.

truer words have never been spoken! :)

--Stitz--

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here