Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

12" metal basket for $5.00

orchidnick
10 years ago

Went to a Mexican swap meet to look for the long poles with a hook at the end that's used to hang clothes on a rack. Need it for some of my hanging plants that are as high as 9' off the ground. Found it alright for $7.00 each.

Also found an unexpected bonus.

Nick

Comments (11)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The surprise was this fruit basket for $5.00 I bought 6 of them.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When you pull it apart it yields a 12" metal basket which was my main target. I can only get plastic pots up to 8" either squares or round buckets. Anything bigger than that has to be wooden baskets which eventually deteriorate. I have been looking for something durable bigger than 8" and was happy to find this thing.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As a bonus you also end up with this 8" basket which is left over after you dismantle the combination of the 2. Now there is no shortage of 8" plastic baskets but it will be used anyway.

This thing is item # CIT6005 distributed by Citrus International Inc in LA. They won't deal with the public but will probably identify a seller in your area such as 'Bed, Bath and Beyond' if you need one of these.

I'm happy with this find.

Nick

• saldut
    10 years ago

I have found similar at HD, they are used for Staghorn, ferns, etc., abt.the same price, also different sizes...Lowes has them also.....sally

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other funny thing was the cost to get into this monstrous swap meet. Parking was free but they charged $1.00 to get in. I even got a printed receipt for my $1.00 which, however, I had to surrender to the gatekeeper who stamped my hand and stuffed the receipt into a shoe box.

It's like entering a different world. I haven't been anywhere in the last 15 years where one dollar got you in. At HD one dollar doesn't even buy a candy bar anymore. Unreal!

Nick

• bob8_gw
    10 years ago

Nick, put a paph. armeniacum in one of those guys and watch it take off. I put one that had a couple of growths into an open type basket just a few months ago and I'm seeing lots of new starts. It hasn't been in there long enough to make stolens out the bottom but I'm sure that it will. However, I'll be the first one to say the test is just starting so time will only tell, but I'm feeling so confident that I'm looking for other plastic baskets.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think most plants do better in open baskets as compared to pots. Properly managed pots are, of course, just fine. I'm a heavy waterer and have many Masdies, Dracs, _Pleuros and other water loving plants so open baskets are the way to go for me.

I was at HD today and looked at their baskets again. They do have different sizes but all of them have very large gaps between the wires. A coconut liner would be necessary to keep the bark or even the moss in. Nothing wrong with that but the gizmo I picked up today can be used with medium sized bark or Sphagnum moss directly without the coconut liner. I have used the HD baskets before, in the end it all works, it's just nice to have as many choices as possible.

Here is one of them with straight sphagnum moss.

Nick

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Found these in The Dollar Store. Cost, $1.00. They are about 9 1/2 x 8. Small openings and handles to hang on a hook or branch. They work great. Come in colors - got red, orange and green.

Don't know how the metal will hold up, but at that price, I don't care.

{{gwi:158541}}

{{gwi:158542}}

I had such fun in the Dollar Store. Bought plastic trays to sit plants on, small strainers for cleaning bark and sphag. I had such fun and didn't break the bank.

Nick, thought you'd enjoy seeing these little plants sitting on my Dollar Store tray. Keeps them damp and they are happy.
    {{gwi:158543}}

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As Burt Reynolds would say in a southern accent: "That's a right nice pig you got there". I agree, that looks like a very useful basket. Will have to check the dollar stores at this side of the continent.

Nick

• allymarie
    10 years ago

Great buys! I've got Jane's basket in black.Got it from what I call my high end dollar store.That little basket is very durable and excellent for orchids.

Allymarie