Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Encyclia polybulbon?

quinnfyre
14 years ago

What can you tell me about Encyclia polybulbon? I got one, mounted, from Oak Hill over the weekend, as I really admired one I saw at an orchid show last year. Do the 'bulbs' stick around, or do they die out as the plant grows new ones? Does it have a time of year where it likes to grow more than others, and a more dormant period? Do the bulbs stay plump when properly watered, or does it wrinkle eventually like oncidium types tend to? I've been focusing more on the Angraecoids and Pleurothallids, so I don't know too much about how these behave. It is currently in a south window that is covered only with a sheer mesh curtain, maybe about 5 inches from the glass. I've been watering it when it the mount dries out a bit; it is mounted on a wood plaque with sphag.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just for kicks, here's a pic that I took of it today:

{{gwi:158986}}

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

quinnfyre, Your Encyclia polybulbon (syn Dinema polybulbon) is grown similar to Cattleya. I have a small potted one which flowered recently. I may choose to mount mine, soon. It seems to do better when grown that way. It's a popular plant around here.

I find it a difficult plant to kill. Others disagree. Don't even think about growing it like an Oncidium.

Your foto shows a blooming size plant. It's a delightful li'l orchid with BIG flowers relative to the plant's small size!

Please, note the link provided below.

--Stitz--

Here is a link that might be useful: Encyclia polybulbon

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm delighted that you say mine is blooming size. That means if all goes well, it should bloom for me! So by saying it is grown like a Cattleya, you mean it needs Cattleya light? I hope I have enough. It is in a south window. Well, we shall see, I guess.

This is what got me interested in it in the first place. These were taken at an orchid show last year:

{{gwi:158989}}

{{gwi:158993}}

• epiphyte78
    14 years ago

Here's a photo of one that I took at a recent show...

{{gwi:158995}}

Mine does fine with Cattleya light but it's growing on moss which most of my Cattleyas wouldn't be happy about.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    14 years ago

I've had mine for 4-5 years I think, but it doesn't seem to appreciate the really high light levels. It's mounted on cork, gets a partially shaded area outside in the summer and an east window in the winter with a little bit extra CFL light. Seems happy enough, is crawling on both sides of the mount and bloomed sometime during the winter.

I agree with all the above, don't even attempt to grow this one in a pot. Mine came potted and didn't do anything until I mounted it.

Kevin

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Yes, the ones i've seen over the years have either been on a mount or "potted" in a very shallow tray. A well grown and flowered plant is a delight.

Dinema polybulbon might be the current name.

• cadfaelrose
    8 years ago

Hi everyone. I am considering getting one of these, but I am wondering how much humidity they need. It would be in my house, I live in a cool Mediterranean area in Northern California, and the humidity tends to be 60% to maybe 70%. I could place it near a humidifier. But since they grow in very humid regions of Jamaica, etc, I am concerned about whether I can give it enough humidity. Thoughts?

• arthurm2015
    8 years ago

I've had one since about 2011. It is growing in a shallow tray on the bench in an unheated glass-house. Last night it got down to 7C., at 3:30pm it is 17C. No humidifier. Watered about once a week in winter.

No heating but a fan gives gentle air movement 24/7.

I think this humidity stuff is overdone and leads to overwatering.

Shade rating on Glass-house roof is about 80%.

Indoors, it might need an aspect to get some early morning sun?

Summer average temps here are higher. Min 17C Max 27C Just by accident those temps above are the winter average.

Humidity all over the place depending on whether the winds are coming from the Ocean or the dry interior of the Continent. That is why it is in a glass-house.

• cadfaelrose
    8 years ago

Thanks, Arthur. My house hovers at about 20C nights/25C days in summer, in winter it's about 16C nights/18C days. It is a lot warmer than your GH. Too small of a seasonal temp shift? I could probably manage a little a.m. light, but only a little. I agree about the overwatering, so though I favor fairly high humidity I do minimal watering with most of my mini orchids, in particular. I have a fan going all the time, too.

• arthurm2015
    8 years ago

It might be fine! I think the main criteria is to grow it on a mount or in a very shallow tray so it can wander about. Perhaps it might do better in my warmer house but there is no room there.

Blooms in what may be not ideal conditions.

• cadfaelrose
    8 years ago

Sounds wonderful! Thanks. :)
    Lisa

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good. -- Harry Potter