Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woollady

epidendrum not blooming..

woollady
9 years ago

hello everyone,i have a very large ,about 3ft tall epidendrum.it has not bloomed in the last 2 years.i want to put it outdoors so it can get more light.just how much light does it need?would a west facing arbor with lattice on top be good enough or is that too much dappled light or not enough?should i put in on the east of the house with full sun until about 1pm?any ideas or help would be fantastic!

Comments (12)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

In general, most orchids like morning sun. Many variables enter in to the equation. Like the nature of the potting material, the kind of pot it is in, frequency of water, is there air flow? The temperature. The fertilizers and frequencies.

A very big issue is does that orchid do well where you live? The answer lies with the locals.

• terpguy
    9 years ago

SM is right. Z8 west should be fine. Here Z7 my cattleyas (which generally speaking like the same amount of light as Epis) get unobstructed west sun outside from about 4 til sunset during the summer. So dappled west is fine.

Do you have a name for this Epidendrum? Or know what type it is (reed stem/other)?

• woollady
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi shavedmonkey,my brother has one too that has not bloomed.i live in foothills above sacramento ca.gets very hot in summer,90s with some hundreds in july and august.also low humidity,around 30%.it sits in medium fir bark,in summer usually water every day or every other day when in 90s etc.i fertilize in summer every 2 weekswith Grow More orchid food.the epis do well in sacramento,but where i live even in summer the temps can go down to 40s and 50s.always have to bring in around oct.thank you for replying.

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

I agree with placing the epi on the west side of your home. Regarding your watering and fertilizing regimen - watering every day in summer with 90+ temperatures are fine but fertilizing only once every two weeks is like you eating once every two weeks and jogging the other days. A once every two week feeding would get flushed out with daily watering. I would fertilize with a more diluted amount about twice a week. With cooler nights - make sure you are watering in the morning so any water droplets have a chance to dry before bacteria can grow.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I grow mine in full Florida sun - SE until about 2pm, then they get shaded by the house, and they are blooming now. I start feeding them in early spring and keep them well watered. I think you could go full, East sun.

They like strong light.

Jane

• woollady
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you tolumniamat for the good advice will do as you suggest.

terpguy-it is a very large reed stem epi,when it bloomed it had orange flowers.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I just wanted to add, they grow like weeds in Florida. People grow them in the ground in full, all day sun and they bloom forever. I wouldn't worry about too much sun, just be careful, acclimating them slowly.

Jane

• terpguy
    9 years ago

People always mention that, Jane. Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet, which is shocking to me considering how many people do it. How large are they getting? I've heard people describe them as hedges once or twice.

• jbw1984
    9 years ago

i have a grocery store reed-stem epidendrum growing in full south facing sun with minimal shifting shade (from the balcony banister) and it is growing like a weed. it took it a couple of weeks to get used to this light, though--it would probably have done a little better if i had gradually let it get used to the bright light. i have it potted pretty densely in a mixture of NZ sphag and medium bark, so that it doesn't dry out too quickly. (it needed an emergency repotting when i first got it because it came in a pot with no drainage--seriously).

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I think your epi is a duck out of water. My guess is your weather is too extreme for the plant to be robust. But, as diverse as orchids are it is likely that there are orchids that thrive there. I bet there is a local orchid society and they would know.
    I live in an environment that many orchids like. But bring me one that likes mountain nights, it won't bloom. It will grow maybe. It might at your house...

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Similar comments here, they are garden plants. people plant them in soil in full sun. Temperature tolerant down to about 2C.
    Orchidnick observed that perhaps the modern hybrids might be a little bit more touchy. I have them in a shade-house, all day sun filtered by shade-cloth.
    300 sunny days on average spread through the year.
    Too much shade and fertiliser and you get lots of leggy growth and few flowers.

• woollady
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi to all of you to responded,i appreciate all the info and ideas about what might work.thank you!