Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
That's differant...? Phal pic. What is that?

Posted by cardarlin 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 16:06

Can anyone tell me what this is?
This phal I got from a super market on clearance. It was not in the greatest shape and only had two leaves on it with an old spike. The spike stayed green so I left it. After a couple of months some new buds formed on the old spike. Now I'm seeing this on the bottom of the plant. You can also see a new leaf trying to emerge from the top of the base that was broken off.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40485628@N02/5640986071/in/photostream

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: That's differant...? Phal pic. What is that?

At some point the phal has had crown rot and is trying to throw a basal (from the main stem) keiki. It is it's attempt to continue to survive. A keiki is a baby plant produced from the mother plant.

Unless this plant has special meaning, I'd give up the ghost. It will be a couple of years (if you are lucky) before you see more blooms. A lot of effort for a clearance rack purchase, IMO.

If you do try, read up on general phal culture/care (house temps, indirect light, water heavily when dry, good drainage, fertilize weakly/weekly, etc...) and Good Luck!

Bob

o

I've heard this before. That you shouldn't waste time on the plant because it won't bloom for a long time. Since I purchased it, it has also started more blooms from the old spike that are about to open. 7 to be exact. So it is doing all this while throwing up a basal keiki. I think that's pretty impressive and will hang on to it anyways. Because it's a lot of fun. Thanks anyways!

o

I'm with you, cardarlin. As long as you're having fun, I think it's very gratifying to nurture a plant, imminent blooms or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here