Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help a novice

Posted by calverttx (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 16:14

Took the family to Houston yesterday to the museum. Had no idea that an Orchid show was happening there. Being a plant lover I bought one (beautiful) and a new pot to put it in after blooming. I got basic instructions. Was sure (ha ha) I could id it on the net.

Well, now I have no idea what I have so I need some help. I can take a picture but I do not know how to post it here. Now I really feel dumb.

I think it is a cattleya but not sure. It has large green leaves that remind me of rabbit ears and the most beautiful purple flowers. It has 6 flowers open and 8 buds. It is about 19 inches tall, pot not included.

Thanks so much for any help. I do not know what us plant lovers would do without each others help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help a novice

Sounds more like a Phalaenopsis.
If you can't post a photo, Google Cattleya and Phalaenopsis and see if you can identify the plant. If there's a tag, even better. We need to know the type of orchid.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this the flower?

o

Maybe it is a Cattleya hybrid something like this...
C. Mackay Candy 'Rosemeath'
If so, it will be hard to get an Id because of the sheer number of registered hybrids and the variation of each seed as it matures and flowers. The orchid in the picture is a Chocolate Drop Hybrid and each plant as it flowers is different. (i have about twenty of them bought as babies in a compot)
Your only chance is that perhaps you have purchased a species orchid such as Cattleya bowringiana, perhaps you would get an id then, but in the orchid world looks a bit like doesn't count for much.

o

Dear Jane, No, that is not it. And neither is the one that arthurm sent but in this picture the leaves are similar.

The flower is more flat. it has three petals in the back kind of pointy and then more petals that are on top of this and are more rounded. I did find a picture. That is all it was, a picture, no description. I was so frustrated.

Thank you both so much for trying to help. If I only knew how to post the picture.

o

The orchid world is not like the garden annual world. The Johnny Jump Up violas seeded last year are starting to grow and the flowers will all be almost identical. So will most of the other self sown annuals. Primula, marigold and so on.

Have a look at the pics. in the link, particularly the Laeliinae sub-tribe, Tens of thousands of registered hybrids plus a lot of variation between seedlings make for a very difficult exercise in getting an id.

Anyway, have a look at the sets and see what you can find. You might have to settle for something like Laeliinae Unknown or Cymbidium Unknown or???

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid photos in sub-tribes

o

http://www.orchids.com/shop/shopCatResult.asp?color=purple&plantLocation=House&showAll=yes&class=phalaenopsis

Ok, this is getting very close. It is difficult to be precise on the color on the computer. The flower and the unopened pods look like the one I bought.

Can you tell me about it and mainly how to care for it.

o

I have found it, I think.
It may be a Dtps. Oriental Gem "Montclair"

The man I purchased it from told me to let it dry out and then water it from the bottom once a week. The print out I have says "Moist all of the time"

So how much water does it need?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here