Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alieliza

Best orchid for a hanging wood slat basket?

alieliza
15 years ago

I obtained two wood slat hanging baskets from my father, one of which currently has spanish moss in it.

The baskets are like the ones seen in this picture:

{{gwi:159796}}

I'd love to put an orchid in the bigger one, and Im sure that I've seen them in baskets before.

What is the best kind of orchid for a hanging basket of that nature?

Vanda?

Comments (6)

• cbarry
    15 years ago

The best kind of orchd for you to put in a slat basket is the best kind of orchid that you can grow!

Joking aside, I have orchids in pots that are set in the slat baskets for hanging purposes, so in that respect, the answer is any orchid!

So please tell us more about where you would like to hang this basket (inside, outside, west sun, north sun, etc.) and we'll be happy to recommend an orchid perfectly suited to your basket.

• wetfeet101b
    15 years ago

Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums, Oncidiums, Phalaenopsis, the list goes on and on for orchids that can be successfully grown in slat baskets.

But just like any other container, the basket is just a portion of the growing equation. Your local microclimate, your plant care habits and preferences will also dictate if any specific plant will grow well in the basket.

• silkymoon
    15 years ago

95% of all of my orchids are in boxes good ventilation they see to like it!
    Maria

• alieliza
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys.

I would like to grow the orchid indoors, though I am not opposed to putting it outdoors for the summer, as that is what I do with my current phals, though I have not been able to get any of them to bloom... if they were blooming I would probably keep them indoors (unless, of course, i were having guests over for an outdoor celebration of sorts, then it would *have* to be decorative outside :) ).

Im not sure what direction the window faces. Sorry!

I was just under the impression that some were better for hanging baskets, depending, say, on the kind of growing medium they needed.

• cbarry
    15 years ago

You said "I was just under the impression that some were better for hanging baskets, depending, say, on the kind of growing medium they needed."

And you're partially right, some are better for hanging baskets.

But, for example, I had a vanda that is perfect for a slat basket in FL, would die that way here in NY in my care. My vanilla, on the other hand is in a clay pot (in media) that is stuck in a slat basket so that I can hang it. It must be at least 25 ft now wound around and around a trellis I have for it.

Would a vanilla realistically live in a slat basket on it's own? Not here! But potted, in a basket, happy as a pig in (you know what)!

So, What kind of orchid would you like to grow? You really can hang it in the basket in an appropriate location.

Carolyn

• richardol
    15 years ago

If I were to make a generalization about being suitable for growing in a basket (dangerous I know) I would base it on root size. A thick rooted orchid will do better than a thin rooted orchid.