Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this crown rot? (Pictures)

Posted by nicolewillette Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 16:29

Hi everyone -

I have had this orchid for about a year now, and it's always been very pretty, up until a month ago. I think it is a phal. of some sort, although the leaves are weird.

small leaves!

Yellow Phal.?

phalaenopsis impersonator?

UNTIL NOW:
:(

The crown is probably six inches tall. About four months ago, the plant spiked and bloomed (had one bud blast). A month ago, ALL of the leaves turned to mush, and started dying from the bottom, up. All of the roots shriveled away and died. The crown turned black, and when I went to pick up the plant yesterday, the plant shook a bit and a third of the crown fell off. I've been wanting to repot it for some time now, but 1) am not sure WHERE to place the ribosome, since it is so tall and 2)I don't really think it's going to make it, if it isn't already completely dead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this crown rot? (Pictures)

It looks to me like the opposite. The roots drying and shriveling to me sounds like they died of dehydration. Crown rot is a rot that starts with the new leaves in the top center (ie crown). It is hard to say without knowing your treatment of the plant. But it looks dead to me.
I always repot my phals immediately upon bringing them home. With them there is no need to wait.

o

The "Phalaenopsis" in the brown pot probably has some Doritis influence hence the smaller leaves and it looks fine. The plant in the clear pot shows general decline due to unsuitable conditions or some event such as being suddenly chilled and then having to get through the Northern winter.

Crown rot starts in the centre at the top of an otherwise healthy plant.
Maybe the plant has gone to far down the declining slope to be saved but i'm leaving that to the local experts.

o

I water weekly, so I don't think it could really be dehydration. I do wonder if it had something to do with the northern winter.

And the last one, in the clear pot, is the same as the one in the brown pot.

o

How do you water him?

o

It is the same thing as crown rot but instead of rotting from the top down, it started at a lower leaf junction and went up the stem.

You can saturate the remaining stem and leaves with regular peroxide and see if it will sprout roots but sadly, I think it is too far gone.

Brooke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here