Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irishpat_gw

Systemic insecticide that will kill everything

irishpat
12 years ago

except for the plants, obviously. :)

I have everything, mealy bugs, spider mites, little mites flying around my house.....who knows and also some of this has spread to many of the houseplants. Is there a general systemic I can get to use when I water EVERYTHING (orchids too) that will kill every bug in my house ?? Please recommend something, you guys are experts out there.

Comments (9)

• richardol
    12 years ago

{{gwi:160226}}I like the Bayer products as a backup to the soap and alcohol mix for visible bugs. The all-in-one works very well, and the insect killer for plants that had visible infestation to stop re-infestation.

For visible bugs I use three steps. 1) alcohol and soap mix all over. 2) soft toothbrush and water spray to remove all the bug bodies. 3) whole plant spray of the Bayer, including roots if I am repotting.

Spider mites love dusty leaves, so washing is usually enough to get those, and flying mites are around standing water so wash out the saucers.

• irishpat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for help...appreciate it.

• orchid126
    12 years ago

I agree with richardol.

• NBAMA
    12 years ago

Richardol is spot on. The Bayer products have proven their worth to me.

• jank
    12 years ago

Richardol, is the all-in-one OK for orchids in pots? I have purchased it, and then looked more closely at the instructions. It says to not use in potted plants. Also, not to get it on the leaves; i.e., only use it to water the roots (and then, not in a pot).
    Have you found it to be OK to spray foliarly and use on potted or mounted plants?
    Thanks!
    Jan

• highjack
    12 years ago

Yes to all of your questions. It is a very good and effective product.

Brooke

• richardol
    12 years ago

I apply the all-in-one with a pump sprayer and while I am aiming at the medium the plant is growing in, I make no effort to avoid leaves and don't worry about it if some gets on. The warning may be about build-up, a problem with any product if the pot is under-watered or not flushed from time to time. I don't spare the water so I am not concerned about mineral build-up either.

Follow the general orchid guideline "weekly, weakly" and all will be well.

• highjack
    12 years ago

Richard for a systemic insecticide? Weekly, weakly is great for fertilizer but using a weak insecticide will eventually create insects that are immune to the ingredient. It is very important to follow the directions.

Yes, it is safe to use on potted orchids and to use as a foliar spray. After the initial treatment, treat again in a week.

Brooke

• jloftin60
    12 years ago

Has anyone used Bonide Systemic Houseplant Insect Control?