Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Numerous Phals acting non-Phal-ish

Posted by whitecat8 z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 17:15

Hello all. Before this year on Phals, the first bud to open has been the lowest (and largest) one on the spike.

Same with the first flower to droop and fall off - lowest and largest and the one that's been open the longest.

This year, the rules have changed. Almost never does the lowest and largest bud open first. Usually a bud 1 or 2 buds higher on the spike opens first.

Same with fading and falling.

Others noticing this too? Maybe just something strange about my conditions this year?

Thanks, WC8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Numerous Phals acting non-Phal-ish

WC8 I haven't had that problem, my problem has been bud blast on my mini phals. The cats getting up and sitting in the orchids doesn't help that though. The tiny devil cat likes to look out the window. Go figure. She doesn't understand windows are made for orchids not cats.gb

o
RE: Numerous Phals acting non-Phal-ish

GB thanks. Too bad about your bud blast. These Phals are being strange. Maybe they're confused cuz they're getting watered enough, for once.

As for cats, they trained me. :) Awhile back the then new Psychopsis went on the floor in front of the double sliding glass doors. It's first flower was just about to open. White cat Kerplunk reminded me that was *his* sunning spot by biting off the spike.

You've probably thought of this, but could you clear a spot for your little cat in the window? Or maybe put a shelf higher up on the window frame for the orchids so the cat can have the sill? There are also some mouse-trap type things that just make the noise and jump when the cat touches them but don't clamp down on anything. Can you tell one of our cats was - um - inventive for the 7 years before he matured?

Anyway, best of luck & thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here