Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mail order orchids

Posted by allymarie ZONE 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 17:23

Hello,

I received my first mail order shipment of orchids today from Orchids by Hauserman.At first I was a bit skeptical but decided to try ordering Lc Trick or Treat after seeing how beautiful Nick's was.I was shocked at low large the box was when it was delivered.I actually thought I got the wrong order.I received the two orchids I ordered but was amazed at how large they were.They were packed well, healthy and at a good price.I was so pleased with my order I placed another order for 3 more cattleyas.

Allymarie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mail order orchids

Lc Trick or Treat.

o

Lc Bryan Wheeler 'Grandson'. This was on sale and was suppose to be bare root but came potted with one bud.

o

Some mail order places do nothing but and get very good at it. Kawamoto Orchids from Hawaii only sells on eBay and a few orchid shows but will often have 500 odd listings. Big plants at a reasonable price. Shipping is a little high unless you get several plants and ask for a discount on the transportation cost.

You got exceptionally nice plants.

Nick

o

Thanks Nick! Yes, the shipping was $15.00 but I did not mind because they were large,healthy plants.The price I paid for the total order is much less than what I would pay for two catts at a local nursery.Thanks for the shipping tip.

Allymarie

o

FYI...Kawamoto now has free shipping!

o

Thanks! I was just on their Ebay catalog.I almost bought Catt Maxima.I'll save that for next time.They have beautiful orchids.

Allymarie

o

Oops! Kawamoto has changed. There may be free shipping but their prices have nearly doubled since I last looked. At those prices I would not buy from them.

Nick

o

Kawamoto is great as is Albita. Just got a few Den. Loddegsii from Albita.

o

Their prices have increased, but I believe,for what you get, that they were underpriced before.

o

They were definitely under priced before. That's what I loved about them. I got many nice, big plants for between $10 and $15. Those days seem to be gone, now their prices are in line with everyone else. Oh well, all good things come to an end.

Nick

o

Can't blame them for trying to make a living :)

o

Regarding the free shipping/higher prices, this is pretty common now on eBay. Sellers are offered incentives to provide 'free shipping' but this is passed on to the buyers with higher prices. Of course this is meant to target those who think they are getting a deal with free shipping, hence more revenue for eBay when unfamiliar buyers think they are getting hot deals. This also means no combined shipping discount for buyers.

Not to rag on Kawamoto Orchids though, they have sent very lovely orchids at very reasonable prices and with this new strategy, the prices are still good and I wont refrain from purchasing orchids from them in the future.

Another good mail order company for orchids is Seattle Orchids. I have been really thrilled each time Ive ordered from them. Here's my Cym. goeringii I got for way cheaper than any other place I can find online.

This post was edited by musaboru on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 17:16

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here