Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Treating Radiata Pine bark for potting mixes

Posted by splinter1804 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 17:39

Hi everyone,

I usually post on the bromeliad forums, but not being able to get an answer to my question I'm now asking for help from orchid growers.
Does anyone know what the professionals use to treat new Radiata Pine bark with before using it in orchid mixes.

I know it's best to use old bark in preference to new as I've been told the new bark is too high in acid and resins.

I also know you can buy bark which is pre-treated to overcome this problem but I can't find out what its treated with.

Can anyone help with an answer.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Treating Radiata Pine bark for potting mixes

Here is a recipe. Not recommended. Too much trouble and probably cheaper to buy a commercial product.
"Peters" formula for soaking bark to treat one 50 litre bag

Urea - 130 Grams

Dolomite - 35 Grams

Potassium Sulphate - 25 Grams

Ferris Sulphate - 35 Grams

Copper Sulphate - 10 Grams

Soak bark in this mixture for 10 days. Treatment provides some nutrients and reduces acidity so that orchid roots are not damaged.

o

Pine bark is not generally used for orchids as it breaks down quickly. Fir bark is much better.

o

Agree, Fir Bark is better! But it is scarcer than Hen's Teeth around these parts, so the major ingredient in potting mixes is treated pine bark.

o

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback to my question. I forgot to mention in my first post that the bark was to be used for growing bromeliads and not orchids, however that didn't alter the question.

I think arthurm gave me the info I needed although I will leave out the copper sulphate as copper is fatal to bromeliads.

I agree with both orchid126 and arthurm. I learnt years ago when I grew orchids, that fir bark was far superior to radiata pine bark, but the cost is very expensive and as arthurm says, it's as scarce as hen's teeth around here, so we just have to adapt and make the best of what we have.

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here