Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cattleya orchids

Posted by boothbay 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 18:44

Lowe's is selling loads of them in all sizes some going for 6.98, the next 10.98. Never tried them. I read where they need cool temperatures..that is impossible here in the NY summer..BTW, none of them show buds...so who knows when they will bloom. If they are as easy as Phals and Den, which i have tried...i may go for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cattleya orchids

They like it warm, lots of light but no direct sunlight and they will bloom out of the 5th or 6th growth. Count the strong pbulbs, many will bloom out of the 5th but most will do so on #6. They are easy.

Nick

o

Not as easy as Phal or Den. Need v bright light but will burn in direct sun.Warm temps all year round 55-90F. Prone to disease.

o

• Posted by stefpix 6b NY %5BBrooklyn NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 18:41

I bought some on clearance for a dollar or 2 at a Lowes. Some Cattletonyas and Blc. They were on sale because they had been sitting on the shelf 2 or 3 months. The Cattletonya is growing new growth and roots and the Epc Serena Tinkerbell is growing like a weed in my window with 5/ 5 purplish PBs.

Other were in poor shape and I cut off dead roots and PB and mostly are 2 PB and they are growing new leads.

Also got for a dollar a Trichocentrum Ollie Palmer and the leaves were shriveled and bent now it perked up. new roots and 2 new ghrowths.

SO I have been lucky with these bags. I am not sure if I can bloom them easily but I put some of these outside from Mid April to mid October.
I also saw a Bc Kosh Wallis that had a ton of new growth and spikes. looks like a Brassavola nodosa somehow.
And Bl Yellow Bird.

I would go for it, pick one or 2, you can see what is healthy.

stefano

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here