Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Budding fiction writer needs your help & know-how

Posted by gidget1225 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 19:34

I don't ask why a thought comes into my head, I merely follow its lead. That's why, even though I don't know much about orchids, they are the plant of significance in a novel that I'm writing.

I've been amazed to find out how many kinds of orchids there are and have been humbled to discover how complicated raising them can be. I confess that I've been tempted to change the flower in my story to something that I have experience planting, simply to make the details easier to write. But, I can't because I've become convinced that the orchid is what is meant to have a place of honor in my story. They are a marvelous plant. It just doesn't feel right to make a substitution.

Therefore, I am asking for your help as follows:

An orchid pod/seed is highly symbolic in the story. I've read that orchid seeds are too small to see. So, a single seed isn't appropriate. Would someone describe orchid pods, please? Also, the seeds from the pod will be planted so that an orchid will sprout. Are there any orchids that would sprout in a month's or 3 months' time? If yes, how long? If no, what would be the soonest one would show growth? Also, please describe (in very simple terms if possible, please) the flasking and potting process, as well as the types of medium that would be used.

It would be great to learn about various types of orchids because orchids pop up throughout the story. I also would appreciate knowing what kind of growing conditions are needed for the specific orchid(s) that you describe.

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Budding fiction writer needs your help & know-how

What a cool idea. It's nice to see you doing research before writing about this topic (something that pops into my head everytime I see pictures of white dendrobiums on vanilla-flavoured yogurts...arghh!)

A good starting point would be this wikipedia article which has lots of good introductory information.

A pod is usually a green thing looking something like this, although variations in size, and length exist. After a period of 3-12 months, the pod popps open and the dust like seeds are released. Very few actually germinate

I don't have time to type out the entire flasking process, but here is a good link with some information. Feel free to peruse and come back with any questions/clarifications

o

Thanks Calvin. Would you happen to know the name of the orchid for the pod? As far as flasking, I've watched a three-segment youtube video ... absolutely amazing!

Unfortunately, the video never indicated how long from flasking to seeing growth nor did it give any timeline as to when the seeds germinate and become viable seedlings for transplanting.

It's a fascinating study though. There's so much to learn.

o

Interesting concept...are you writing a detective novel? I seem to recall an author Rex Stout, who created a detective character, whose hobby was raising Orchids...he was called Nero Wolfe. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here