Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gidget1225

Budding fiction writer needs your help & know-how

gidget1225
13 years ago

I don't ask why a thought comes into my head, I merely follow its lead. That's why, even though I don't know much about orchids, they are the plant of significance in a novel that I'm writing.

I've been amazed to find out how many kinds of orchids there are and have been humbled to discover how complicated raising them can be. I confess that I've been tempted to change the flower in my story to something that I have experience planting, simply to make the details easier to write. But, I can't because I've become convinced that the orchid is what is meant to have a place of honor in my story. They are a marvelous plant. It just doesn't feel right to make a substitution.

Therefore, I am asking for your help as follows:

An orchid pod/seed is highly symbolic in the story. I've read that orchid seeds are too small to see. So, a single seed isn't appropriate. Would someone describe orchid pods, please? Also, the seeds from the pod will be planted so that an orchid will sprout. Are there any orchids that would sprout in a month's or 3 months' time? If yes, how long? If no, what would be the soonest one would show growth? Also, please describe (in very simple terms if possible, please) the flasking and potting process, as well as the types of medium that would be used.

It would be great to learn about various types of orchids because orchids pop up throughout the story. I also would appreciate knowing what kind of growing conditions are needed for the specific orchid(s) that you describe.

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with me.

Comments (3)