Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mini-cats

Posted by schmidtkoff 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 21:23

i've been here in sc for too many years. a transplant from roch. ny. a dear friend of mine in rochester set me up with a green house for orchids in the coal bin of my basement. at that time i probably had about 150 orchids. in the middle of winter i would go down and sit under the lights, and felt i was in 7th heaven. sold that house and gave away the orchids. my bad. now, here in sc i would like to get into growing mini-cats? is this conducive to this environment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mini-cats

What kind of lights are you using?

o

terpguy - i am not currently growing orchids. but in rochester my green house in the basement had about 16 fluorescent lights, a humidifier and a fan. lights etc. were all on a timer. the mini cats that i grew were in my dining room and did not get a whole day full of sun. but they bloomed reliably. to grow them here in south carolina the sun is relentless and the humidity and temps are high. up in rochester the mini cats had different bloom times. one bloomed around christmas. and if you know anything about rochester in winter, well the fact that the mini bloomed then in gray skies and hardly no sun nor additional light source is a miracle.

sorry to take so long to post a response.

o

Maybe the way to go might be to contact some of the local orchid societies to see how they grow their orchids. "sun is relentless and the humidity and temps are high" mean that you would need an appropriate amount of shading if you wish to grow outside in summer. Some mini cats, especially those with a lot of Sophronitis in the breeding like it a bit cooler.

Sorry, not much help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here