Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellhoya

Grcym. Lovely Melody Sweet

shellhoya
14 years ago

I picked up one of these when on an out of state job almost a year ago. We were painting, organizing, redecorating the "previous owners" house. I saw this plant by her window one day, and the next day she had thrown it in the trash. I rescued it because it was alive, just couldn't stand to see it in there! So it decorated my hotel room for the week we were there, and then I brought it home.

After doing some research online, I found out that the black leaf ends she'd been cutting off (and probably why she threw it away) were signs that it was actually getting enough light to bloom. I repotted with orchid mix in a clay pot, and for nearly a year now it's just been hanging out on my plant table. I have managed to keep it alive, at least.

Basically, I have no experience with orchids and not much luck with house plants in general. I've been watering this plant when it feels light, and I use bottled water because I read it needs distilled or rain water (figured the bottled water was at least purer than our mineral laiden town water). I had some new growth last year, then lost a couple leaves a few weeks back...they turned yellow and then dried up brown. No leaf loss since. I'm wondering what I can do to take proper care of this plant, in order for it to bloom.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)