Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Space permitting, make a division as soon as possible.

orchidnick
10 years ago

About the 3rd or 4th orchid I ever got, 18 years ago was labelled C white multiflora. I'm sure that's not the name of it, just a description of it's flowering pattern but in those days I did not question it and enjoyed the nice white flowers. Fast forward 3 to 4 years when someone explained virus to me and advised to always make a division. In case one of them goes south, you got the other one. I took that advice and have been making divisions (for me) of most of my plants ever since.

Fast forward few more years and sure enough my C white multiflora was shown to be virused and was discarded with great sadness as it took me back to the very beginning of my hobby.

The offspring was not virused, the division was made a number of years before the main plant developed the problem. It is a huge monster now, the flowers look a little like C Margaret Hort but are much larger and have a folded lip with some yellow in it. It's probably a Catt hybrid and I'll never find out the name.

I have never stopped the pattern of making a division, not for trade but for my use and I think it's a good habit to get into if you have the space. There have been several more instances, not necessarily related to virus where one of the two plants failed but the other one did well and is still with me. This one is huge by now and makes a nice display. I would not have it, were it not for the protective or prophylactic division.

Nick.

Comments (5)